• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Cheapest Pet Toys

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Kinda like bens mums post, but sightly different. ill explain the situation.

my mums work have a rabbit, Treacle. she is fully vaccinated and spayed, and has a beautiful double large hutch. Her sister passed away and she is very lonely.

My mum works with people who have learning disabilities, and they all live in a big housing complex where they all have a room and share a kitchen bathroom etc, and Treacle lives in the garden next 2 the office. she is well cared for and loved so much. They have an emergency vet fund, but after paying out 4 the spay, vaccinations etc, there isnt much money left over 4 toys and stuff 4 treacle. Now i know we all 'make' stuff but they dont have the ability to do that, they give a box and stuff to play in, and when Thea and Bobbin gave me a tunnel she didnt need i donated it to Treacle because she didnt have anything. They are currently trying to save up (aside from vet fund) to get her a friend from a rescue, bu tit really dusnt leave much cash2 get her some toys.

what r the cheapest places 2 get toys from? bcus without a friend she is even more bored! (if anyone has any old toys they dont need PM me bcus they wud be so grateful)

(admin...if this isnt allowed then remove...i wasnt sure!)

:wave:

My buns all love chucking pine cones around :D Maybe the residents could go for a walk to collect some, not sure if you live anywhere that would have a park or something like that? You just need to stick them in the oven and let them cool before giving them to the buns :D

Or if you know of anywhere you could get apple branches they love chewing those :D You just need to make sure they are untreated.

I give mine loads of newspaper to play with, they just rip it up. Or I wrap little bits of carrot up in a whole sheet so they have to open it :lol:

Can you get hold of a phone book that isnt being used? Buu like playing with them and spends ages turning the pages with her nose, they after a week she gets bored of that and just digs on it :D

If the residents cant make toys, maybe you and your mum could? Or the other staff? Even if its just stuffing the tubes from inside loo rolls with hay and hiding pellets in the middle, it doesnt take long to do and will keep a bunny occupied :D x

You can do loads of stuff with cardboard boxes too. I fill them with ripped up newspaper and hay and hide their pellets in there so they have to dig about and look for their food rather than eat it from a bowl. Even just hiding the pellets around the hutch gives them something to do for a little while :D

All of the ideas I had have been covered above ! lol :lol:

Mine are really into a huge cardboard box that fits 2 buns, full of hay. You can get them from willow warren for £5.95 jam packed with hay, which would also cover hay bills for a week or 5!! :D

Mine also love to chase around big nuts in shells - forget the name of them now, walnuts I think?? you'll probs have them in teh house for christmas now so swipe a few ;)

Hows about a cleaned plastic bottle with pellets in it. Leave the lid off and let her try and get them out... could also cut a small hole in a tennis ball (or the like with non chewable outer) and put treats in there to push around and get to them...

You could also stack a few cardboard boxes up with holes to get up into at diff levels...usually can pick them up at the supermarket.. or put them in a line with holes between for exploring...

Could also try ebay for gifts at cheaper prices??....

Hope some of that helps her :D

Hide treats under yoghurt pots...

You mentioned that treacle has a box to hide in - i fill Hugos hidey box with ripped up newspaper, he spends ages shredding & rearranging it :D

has she got things to chew? see if you can beg some apple twigs from a gardener if not.

mine like jam jar lids and tupperware boxes to throw around. also, get a little cardboard box, fill in with something rattly like bits of twig, and tie it shut with string. you could also get a cheap football, some buns like to push one around. or you could take some jam jar lids or bits of twig and tie them all along a length of string and tie that to the roof of the run. mine like to bat at one of those to see it sparkle. :D

i know that a lot of those involve some degree of making but it would only take five minutes.

Back