• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bun head sway

mullethead

Mama Doe
I rescued 2 babies yesterday and there eating drinking and runing around like lunatics but on one of them when she is resting her head sways from side 2 side,dont know if its cos she wants too flop and rest her head as to sleep or not but i am scared of head tilt,any help:D

When you say side to side to you mean from left to right or just turning to one side only? Also when head is straight do the eyes go from side to side?
My bunnies had a couple of episodes of what I call wryneck, is this what you are calling head tilt I wonder?
Treatment is relatively inexpensive just labour intensive but they will recover quickly if caught early enough and supported with Critical Care for rabbits.

Is it a bit like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pG5NVZgknI That bun is doing it quite quickly though, often it's a lot slower than that.

If so, it probably means that the bun has poor eyesight (more common in red eyed whites, hence Jane's question) and is swaying its head to try and find something to 'focus' on.

Its called Scanning. REWs are notoriously poor sighted and it helps them to focus on objects.

Nothing to worry about.

my REW Billy does this too, I remember when I first got him I worried as well until someone put me straight.:D :D
Sallyx

Back