• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

All that waste, what do you do with it?

becca114

Young Bun
Having 3 of my own buns and my brothers rabbit staying over, you can imagine how much poo they produce. This creates a lot of waste along with messy hay and newspaper. I can fill a big black bag in 2 days. It just goes in the dustbin, but I was wondering if it can be 'recycled' in anyway?

You can recycle the newspaper as normal.

If your local tip has a garden waste section they may allow you to put it into that [although some tips are funny about this]. You aren't supposed to put animal waste in your dustbin but they seem to make it so difficult to dispose of it otherwise!

Some local councils do a pick up service for garden waste too if you ask for some special bags.

You could get one [or more] of the black composting bins, but hay takes a long time to break down so you'll find it filling up quicker than it breaks down - especially in winter.

My council only collect household rubbish fortnightly - and they won't let me put the waste from 25 animals (6 rabbits, 19 guinea pigs) in the recycling. They introduced this scheme about 2 months after I got all my animals, and I have struggled like mad since - and just got used to living surrounded by black bags, ripped open by mice to add to the effect, piles of it dumped at the end of the garden too (sorry neighbours :wave: ) and as I put all my animal waste in the black bin, my elderly neighbour kindly lets me use his bin too - and the household waste just piles up around me for a fortnight - it's like living in a farmyard - horrible and makes me feel very miserable - I'm treating myself to a skip at Christmas, just so I don't have to look at it for a week :roll:

Got no car either - or I'd go to the tip with it like everyone else does :(

Greens bins are for things like that I believe. Basically they're like your blue bin, live at the bottom of your garden and lets all the poo, rotting veggies and whatever decompose...

Or you could just put it at the bottom of your garden. Natural waste makes good fertalizer...

Or so I have been told. I black bin my stuff.

Elve whereabouts are you in South Yorkshire? Might be able to help if not too far away.

:wave: awww thanks - But I'm a fair way from Barnsley. The council are so stupid though - I originally put it in the green bin but one day they refused to collect it as it was 'animal waste'. I dump the rabbit waste up the garden all winter when there's no flies, and it takes all summer to rot down - but the piggy waste is full of bits of food they've dropped, so it would attract rats - and we've already got a rat problem thanks to the council's recycling scheme :roll:

Last edited:
We have green bins and black bins (wheelie) I put all the bunny waste hay, stray, aubiose, poop etc all in the green bins. The green bins are collected fortnightly. With 13 buns it all gets full so quickly so the council gave me another green bin that I just phoned them up for. And its still gets full before time :oops:
So I get the green compostable bin liners from tesco too :oops: Bless my bin me, they take it all!!!!:D
I must must must get them a xmas pressie! :lol:
But I've no idea what to get a bunch of binmen?!
Alot of beer?! :? :lol:
I dont know!
(my bin men are so great I even made up a song about them!:oops: :lol: )

I put all the straw, hay and leftover food into the brown bins(compost bin or a compost if you don't have this bin), and the newspaper into bin bags to be put into landfill. I've only done this for about two weeks and I've only filled about two bags, instead of about 8!!!! :shock:

i have an army of compost bins :D

hay and newspaper is good for compost as youre meant to have a mix of wet materials like vegetable peelings and dryer things like straw. i don;t put it all in though as there would be more dry than wet cos of the volume of bedding.

I posted about this a few weeks ago. My new answer to this problem is to watch for my neighbours going to work on bin collection day and sneaking rubbish into their bins :oops:

Amy

:lol: i put all my rabbit waste in the brown bins.council men just look at me then laugh so know they dont mind.x:lol:

It's really frustrating that my council won't allow rabbit waste (straw, wood based litter) go in the 'composting' bins. I rang once and asked them about this, and apparently it's because they don't really compost it as such, but rather chop it up very small and sell it as a soil improver. For now then most of the waste goes into the black bin ( :( )but I'm intending to invest in some more compost bins for my own garden (I already have one, but it's full) to try and recycle more of it.

m i use both my bin and me mums!!

i only have litter trays..but with four buns and two cats..two buns being mmassive frenchies..its easy to build up!!

when my gardens fully accessible again im finally putting up my compost bin i bought two years ago!

ive changed from wood pellets with russell rabbit bedding int he buns trays with their bits of hay.to bio catolet and russell rabbit and some hay..
bio catolet compostsdown well breaks right down within 3 weeks!! russell rabbit bedding is mighty fine stuff and they hay does what it wants..ive filled me mums compost bin too!!

hey gem..hows about a pick up here..:lol:

:wave: I have been thinking about getting a wormery in the spring coz as well as usual compost stuff you can also put in rabbit waste and wood based litter etc and the worms eat it and then it all comes out of a tap at the bottom as liquid fertiliser for your garden!

:wave: I have been thinking about getting a wormery in the spring coz as well as usual compost stuff you can also put in rabbit waste and wood based litter etc and the worms eat it and then it all comes out of a tap at the bottom as liquid fertiliser for your garden!

All the stuff I dumped up the garden last winter/spring has become lovely, worm filled soil now - the problem being it's so slow, and the animals make bin bags full of waste very fast :roll: I often say 'never again' - well at any rate never more than 2 or 3 furries at one time - I just can't cope with the waste, the cleaning and the hay with 25 - It's a bit like having a couple of horses living in my house/garden - MESSYYYYYY :lol:

I put the hay into the composting brown bin. My theory is that my lot are litter trained, so they hay isn't soiled anyway and is really just dried grass!

The poo and paper, I put in plastic bags and take it to my dad's work, where they have a skip.

I put mine in black bin bags and the bin men take them with all the others :D wherever possible i add a bit of normal rubbish too to disguise the shape etc :lol: :lol:

Back