• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Nest' box for buns? UD: it hasn't really worked..

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
When Jen was on her own after Harley died (and obviously lonely whilst I was at work :() she chewed away most of the piece of wood that separated her daytime compartment from the bed compartment. It was so ratty that in end, once she was bonded with Frankie, I removed it completely to give them one big space to run about in. Thing is, I'm regretting it now because there's no 'bed' for them to snuggle up in as it's getting cold :?

Any ideas for something I could use to make a sort of nest box for them? I've tried using a big thick cardboard box from work, but they both just seemed to think that destroying that was great fun :rolleyes:

They do have a hutch cover that is down at night to give the wind chill down, but I am concerned that there's nowhere to really cuddle up in. Any ideas please??

Ooo, I do have a bed just like that that my cat refuses to use! Is it a risk if the buns chew it though? Both my two are demon chewers :oops:

A couple of my buns have those plastic storage boxes with openings cut in them for sleeping boxes. When lined with a thick layer of paper and stuffed with hay or soft barley straw they make really snuggley places to have a sleep!:D

The plastic storage box is another great idea, thanks! How did you smooth the edges down after you cut the hole out?

Tamsin, I tried a big thick cardboard box from work but it barely lasted a night, Jen managed to make it into some sort of tunnel! :lol:

The first thing I do with my hutches is remove the partition and put a pet carrier in the space with the opening facing the front. It means that the sleeping area is double insulated and is easy to remove for cleaning. I also use the same carrier to transport them to the vet and also sometimes to and from the garden run if I've not time to do do two seperate journeys with them.

The plastic storage box is another great idea, thanks! How did you smooth the edges down after you cut the hole out?
:

I took the edges down and smoothed them as best I could with a file, and then double taped around it with thick duct tape. Thus far, they haven't even attempted to chew the tape off!:D

Those work BRILLIANTLY!!!!! And the buns love them, too......though I only have two of them, I wish ALL of the buns had them!!!:D

Fab ideas, thanks everyone! I'm loving the KatKabin... I have a little cat who I think would appreciate that too! :lol: I think for now though I'm going to get hold of a covered litter tray, that'll do the job perfectly. In fact I'm a little embarassed that I didn't think of that one before! :oops:

Well, my guys have had access to a covered litter tray for a little while now, but it's not been very successful :?

Despite it being really chilly out (freezing this morning), every morning when I go out one of the rabs has pulled the lid part of the tray off and dumped it on the other side of the hutch. I've made sure that the clasps are definitely secure, but whoever it is (it's so Jen :roll: ) still manages to pull it off and dig all the hay out.

Whilst I was away last weekend I just left the lid off and filled the tray with a thick layer of hay and they seem happier with that, although I'm still worried about them being too cold :( Do you think I can just assume that they are both OK, since they didn't make any effort to snuggle up inside the tray?

we've only had our buns four days and with it being particularly cold last night i piled plenty of hay into their bedroom. however when we went to bed they were quite happily sat in the run, and the run is where they were when we got up this morning :roll:

Mine have two bedroom compartments but whenever I sneak up to see where they are they are in the middle section snuggled together :rolleyes: . I've now put vetbed in that section and pop their snugglesafe in there too.

LOL I wondered where the lid was, was lifting the straw and hay up to see if they had buried it - glad I wasn't going barmy. I've got Molly and Muffin a cat wigwam to sleep in but found them both curled up in the litter tray earlier on - it's one of those small plastic dog beds with high sides, maybe Frankie and Jenny would like one of those to sleep in. £4.99 from Wilko;)

LOL I wondered where the lid was, was lifting the straw and hay up to see if they had buried it - glad I wasn't going barmy. I've got Molly and Muffin a cat wigwam to sleep in but found them both curled up in the litter tray earlier on - it's one of those small plastic dog beds with high sides, maybe Frankie and Jenny would like one of those to sleep in. £4.99 from Wilko;)

:lol: It was a last minute decision to take it out, I was going to text you and tell you but after all the other details I'd lumbered you with by phone and PM I didn't want you to think that I was a completely obsessed rabbit mum :oops: :lol:

I'll look out for the dog beds, I think they'd like that :thumb: Actually I think Frankie rather liked having the covered litter tray, just Jen that has other ideas :rolleyes:

we've only had our buns four days and with it being particularly cold last night i piled plenty of hay into their bedroom. however when we went to bed they were quite happily sat in the run, and the run is where they were when we got up this morning :roll:

It was frosty this morning and mine were both still flopped out by the hutch door. I swear they are just immune to the cold :?

Back