• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I just found something disturbing on Grace

Grace and Louis

Warren Scout
I was just stroking Graces ears when I found this

gracesear2.jpg

Front of her ear

Gracesear.jpg

I dont know what it is :( I know she had a scrap with Louis last night but I didnt see any blood on her and I didnt hear her scream in pain or anything so I didnt think she had been injured.

The nasty bit closest to the middle of her ear you can see light behind it

Is this just a war wound? If it is will she be scared for life? Should I do anything to it? Should I take her to a vet? Is it something more nasty than a war wound?

Im really worried about her now I feel so guilty for not having noticed it before:cry:

Oh it may have been a little nip. It's not still bleeding is it?
Don't feel bad, i didnt notice a nip on one of my piggies until it had started to scab over...

Looks like bite wound. Just keep it clean, she shouldn't need to see a vet unless you see signs of infection - puss/swelling. It looks fine at the moment :)

She may have a tiny scar when it heals but you probably won't be able to see it unless your looking for it and it won't effect her :)

thanks that is a huge relief!! - she doesnt seem to be bothered by it although it goes straight through her ear...its amazing her ear didnt tear although it looks as though it did and then fused back together

Luuna got a bite on her ear when I was bonding her and Bailey. I cleaned it with a little salt water and a tiny, tiny dab of germelein (sp), but if its already totally scabbed then theres no point in doing this. Bailey had a scratch on him too which I didn't notice until it scabbed over and it was fine. Just keep an eye on the wound, like already said. The fur has totally grown back over the injuries my two inflicted on one another, you can't even see where they were anymore :)
Welcome to the forum, your bunnies are gorgeous :wave:

One of my buns had a similar wound recently, i bathed it in a saline solution & then applied 'VETZYME ANTIBACTERIAL POWDER' i bought it from the petshop & it only cost about £3, it helps soothe the wound & prevent infection, it worked really well & bun was healed in no time :D

Back