• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inside or outside?

Do you keep your rabbits...

• ...inside

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • ...or outside

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters

rabbits-are-cuties

Warren Scout
I was thinking the other day about my bunnies (as I do most days) and how I never knew anything about having them in the house and people's reactions when I tell the my buns are free to hop around the place, this is the most common response: "Ewwwwwww! Don't they poo everywhere:shock:?". I wondered how many people actually keep bunnies in the house compared to garden-buns.

Yes, I know I think to much:roll: .

I have both. They tend to take turns.:lol:
At the moment I have only 2 outdoor hutches and 1 indoor cage, so I have to keep one inside all the time.

When I got my first rabbit it was December, and she was born inside so I couldn't really take her out. Instead I bought an indoor cage, though I meant to move her out when the summer came, and so I did. In autumn, I moved her in again, however during the winter she was moved back outside after a period of getting used to the temperature on the school's storage:roll: Because I was told if I were to keep my rabbit at school, she had to live outside. I had her inside at first, but moved her out a few hours a day.

When I got Sasuke I was told I had to keep him outside at all time, because he was male, and apparently they smelt worse (which is one reason why my first rabbit was female, but there were only males left when I got him) and since I had to keep him outdoor all the time I went ahead and got two new hutches, so they could keep each other company (as neighbors).
During that summer the old hutch broke:roll: So it was a good thing we got new ones.

Zakura was put inside for a short period that fall after she was neutered, but she stayed outside with Sasuke that winter.

This summer I got a third rabbit, Aroma, and she had to live indoors because of lack of cages. Dad still hasn't finished with the new ones. :roll: (He started planning it the summer).
But later Sasuke got sore paws, because of a dirty cage, and to prevent it from being to wet (it was raining a lot) I let him and Aroma switch places, and he's been inside ever since.

The new shed is soon finished, so all the rabbits can live in there, they won't be inside but I guess in a way they will have a house:lol: But don't know if it could qualify as "indoor rabbits" or not:lol:

I've never had a free ranging house rabbit though. They're only out when I can supervise them.
The problem is none of them are very good at using the litter box when they're out of the cage (Aroma doesn't use it in the cage either....and she loves peeing on stuffed animals:shock: ) Sasuke won't even leave his cage unless I carry him:roll:

Its funny, given so many people have rabbits, that so few non-rabbit people know that keeping them inside is perfectly viable.

Though I must say my sofa now looks a lot like the 'crochet' in your picture and my house never looks tidy anymore! :roll:

Mine are inside during the winter and go outside in spring. I plan to bond my 5 together April time though, get them a shed to live in and they'll be out all year then :)

I wasn't able to vote as there's no option for "both":) Floss&Bournville are outside this winter, but I've no worries about the cold as it's a really sturdy double skinned hutch. Nia, our "unexpected" addition will be a housebun for the foreseeable future.

Storm & Mallow are both indoor bunnies. I wanted them as pets & didn't think they'd be much company if I kept them outside. I also own a sofa that now looks like a piece of crochet:lol:

Maddie is inside :) , Ebony is outside. :cry: My mum thinks two buns inside will be too smelly, but I'm trying to convince her otherwise.

TBH I find it strange that so few on here have indoor rabbits :? , having experienced both I can be 100% sure I will never have a rabbit living outdoors after Ebony. The quality of life is so much better inside and there is a much stronger bond between you and bunnies. :D I LOVE having Maddie inside.

All mine are inside our insulated shed in the winter and outside in the spring/summer. I personally wouldn't want mine in my house because I am to fussy about my house:lol:
Sallyx

Inside :wave:

I had a email from a mate recently saying "What is it with girls and wabbits? My girlfriend and my sister both want one now! Does yours live inside? Doesn't it poo everywhere?!" :lol:

Yes, but you just pick it up.... it's not as if it's like dog do! :rolleyes:

Back