• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

trembling, cold and flopping down.......but ok now?

hornetcarp

Warren Scout
on wednesday i got home from work and my rabbit hadn't come out of her run. this was very unusual because normally as soon as you pull the run away from the hutch she's off round the garden.

for 2 hours she hadn't come out. i knew this wasn't right so picked her up. she seemed to be trembling and felt colder than normal. bear in mind it wasn't a cold day.

i put her back down and all she wanted to do was throw herself down with her back legs stretched out. she kept moving a few inches and flopping down again.

obviously i was really worried (even more so because our hamster died last night unexpectedly:( ) and took her to the vets.

by the time we saw the vet she seemed better (maybe the stress of the journey/taking her there made her forget her ailments?) vet couldn't really find anything wrong and back home she was her normal self and has been since.

any ideas what might have caused such a temporary problem?? i thought it was something serious like pneumonia at first.....

Sounds as though she had tummy pain.
All the behaviour plus her feeling cold fit with a Bun with a pain in their tum

Glad she is OK now but I'd advise you to keep a close eye on her poos. If they look smaller than normal or fewer in quantity that is a sign that her gut motility is slowing down. Quite often Rabbits who are developing Dental problems such as molar spurs (sharp spikes on the back teeth) first present with episodes of reduced gut motility and subsequent tummy pain.

Janex

Sounds as though she had tummy pain.
All the behaviour plus her feeling cold fit with a Bun with a pain in their tum

thanks, didn't know that:shock:

that would make sense because the following day she had done some very messy poo!!! back to normal soon after though:D

this seems just like how Dude was lest night ("HELP!!" thread in rabbit chat)

my vet said it's better to keep him as an indoor bun now as he's obv susceptible to the cold and it was 50/50 whether he's make it thru the night.

vet injeted warm fluids into each side under the skin and he said when they get so cold right to the core, it can be hard to warm them up again.

Mmm, personally I'd be more inclined to think that the getting cold was as a result of the pain/illness rather than the cause :? A poorly bun will have trouble regulating its body temperature so as a result will get cold. Did he have his teeth checked? Could he have eaten any frozen grass?

Last edited:
Back