• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do when...

LaneyAngel

New Kit
In July of this year, I bought home a beautiful white and brown bunny who I named Ella... She has always been a sweetheart, very friendly and open. She never minded being picked up or petted...
She has always been fabulous basically.

Now... it came to pass that after a month of having Ella, I thought there might be the possibility of her being lonely. It was the middle of winter, and in case she got cold I had placed a blanket in her hutch with a cuddly toy rabbit that she could snuggle up to, so it could help her keep warm. Well, when I caught her LICKING it and grooming it and refusing to be separated from it, I figured "yep, she needs a companion"

So, I perused the pet store locally and otherwise for a bunny that had the right attitude to compliment Ella's, a bunny who was sweet, lovely and fabulous. I made sure that every single person in the shop looked at her to ascertain she was indeed female, and then I ended up bringing home a little girl, who I named Mia. She was tiny, a crossbred dwarf bunny. She came home and she and Ella within the week had formed a very deep attachment.

.... That is until last week. I was standing on my back verandah watching the bunnies as they ran around their enclosure, Ella trying to steal bits of clover through the bars, and Mia chasing her, as has always been the case... but then, I noticed...

Mia was MOUNTING Ella, and going hell for leather, like one of those pounding pneumatic drills... Ella would sit perfectly still through the entire event, wait until Mia had left, and would continue eating clover through the bars.

So, I immediately reached for my book about rabbits and flipped to the page about sexing them. Holding open the book, I flipped Mia over and pressed my fingers down, hoping against hope... it wouldn't be so...
And up pops a penis.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I of course am horrified. I didn't WANT a boy bunny!!!! So I begin cursing the pet store :censored: and cursing everything... until I realise... What if?

He was immediately separated into a small rabbit cage I have. It's not anywhere near big enough for him, and has to be moved every 10 minutes so he has enough grass, but its only until I have the $75 to get him desexed!

Now, Ella is in her home cage, by herself... and I wonder about the possibility of her being pregnant. I took her to the vet and he said if she is pregnant, she wouldn't be very far in, but he didn't really know (none of the vets in the area deal much with rabbits... its all cats and dogs around here). What do I do now? I mean, I've had baby bunnies before, I used to breed show rabbits (not often, and not for long because it became so difficult to rehome them), and half the time I could never tell for certain my rabbits were pregnant until they were almost ready to give birth, so I'm useless there...

Ella:
ellsbells.jpg

The Culprit:
culprit.jpg

How old is Mia? Has she got testicles yet? It's just usually they are the most obvious signs. The bits that pop up can be a bit confusing.

You could have an emergency spay (desex) done which would stop any pregnancy - if Ella is indeed pregnant. It does depend on your own feelings as to whether that's okay or not. As you mention finding good homes is very difficult :(

Bathrooms, utility rooms etc. are good temporary rabbit holding pens if the cage is too small :)

well, I took them both to the vet and the vet sexxed them just a couple of days ago and said he's definitely male. We looked at both bunnies private parts and compared and contrasted (I sound like I'm in English class) and we came out with the firm belief that Mia is indeed a boy.

Though neither of us could actually SEE any balls. Mia's private area, where balls should be, is really hairy!

Back