• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

**Urgent** Liver disease/cancer in rabbits

brigitte

Warren Scout
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with liver disease and/or liver cancer in rabbits. My spayed mini-lop doe has been diagnosed with liver problems and has refused to eat. I have been syringe feeding her and she went back to the vets today. She was 6.6 pounds last Monday and down to 5.11 pounds today. She is being treated with Panacur just in case it is the dreaded E.C.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brigitte

One of my first rescue bunnies had EC induced liver problems.....we didn't realise how badly damaged it was until he went into liver failure one night after loosing weight.

He had come from an awful back gorund and was blind but we had found im a new home and wifey bun...he enjoyed his new life for just a few weeks :cry: :cry: :cry:

That is my only experience Im afraid...hopefully your situation has been caught earlier and your bunny can be helped.

Vibes for you both X

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with liver disease and/or liver cancer in rabbits. My spayed mini-lop doe has been diagnosed with liver problems and has refused to eat. I have been syringe feeding her and she went back to the vets today. She was 6.6 pounds last Monday and down to 5.11 pounds today. She is being treated with Panacur just in case it is the dreaded E.C.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brigitte

Has she had a blood test to confirm this? I have been unfortunate to have experienced a small number with liver disease however none of them stopped eating. Is the vet giving her any other treatment? If its a liver infection it can sometimes be succesfully treated with a good course of antibiotics.

If your Bun was anorexic at the time of the Blood Test that will give abnormal results for Liver Function. It does not necessarily indicate Liver Disease/Cancer
Did your Vet specify what Liver Enzymes were abnormal?

Janex

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate it.

She is being treated for E.C. with 1/2 mg. of Panacur daily and has had a couple of shots of vitamins. I have also given her infacol and this afternoon she is nibbling on grass, hay, kale and parsley. She is free to run around the house and has been moving a bit more than she was.

The blood test were inconclusive but the x-rays showed an enlarged liver and the vet said it was harder than normal.

How much infacol should she be given? I gave her .6 mg this afternoon.

Thanks,

Brigitte

She seems to be doing better after her first dose of infacol - she ate quite a bit of kale and hay and I noticed a few small poops. Hopefully, this is not the calm before the storm and she is on her way to recovery.

Thank you everyone for your input and I will keep you updated on her progress.

Brigitte

Infacol is quite a safe medicine as it is inert and is not absorbed into the body.

I usually give 0.5-0.6ml every few hours but it is very hard to achieve an overdose and one is unlikely to cause any harm so you can give as required.

It has best results when given over a few days.

in a similar vein to what Jane suggested, dandelions are very good for the liver, if you can find any this late in the year. Rabbit's livers take a hammering from all sorts of stressful situations (moving home, car rides, vet visits, bonding with other rabbits) and from anaesthetic, starvation, and phenols in wood shavings and disinfectants, so also try to minimise these.

Back