• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me complain...

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
My sister's childrens school kept a pet bunny. On its own outside on grass in a hutch/run 24/7. No friend for it, probably no medical care, and not given the love it would find in a nice home. Here look - you can see it in this pic
http://www.st-thomasmoremedway.sch.uk/

Today she has told me the bunny has gone and the school have lightheartedly said it has run away. And the announcement on the newsletter here under 'Martha'
http://www.st-thomasmore.medway.sch.uk/news_letter.htm

I am emailing them a complaint as to how it was looked after to begin with but to leave it out on grass 24/7 is wrong. Also that they are teaching kids its ok for this to happen as they dont seem to care its now gone!!

Am very worried for this bunny. Anyone want to email them to complain?

I understand that it is a primary school and they are trying not to upset the children but saying "packed a bag" and "enjoying many adventrues!" is not teaching children about animal welfare and that this poor bunny will not survive long in the wild on it's own :cry:

How about something like this?:

Dear .....,

I was very upset to hear of the news of the school rabbit having disappeared. However for sometime now this rabbit has been praying on my mind. I keep rabbits myself and am aware of their needs. Rabbits are social creatures and it is commonly considered cruel amongst rabbit keepers to keep a lone rabbit on it's own without a neutered friend for company.

Secondly a run kept on grass provides an easy way of escape because rabbits are very good diggers. This then causes another dangers because the chances of a domestic rabbit surviving for long on it's own in the wild are very very slim. I understand that you do not wish to scare the children, but mis-informing them with the words "enjoying many adventures" is not helping to educate them.

I urge to think very hard before getting a replacement to fill Martha's gap. I believe that a school environment is not suited to rabbits, being prey animals they are naturally fearful creatures and constant attention from children could be very damaging to their metal state, creating a very unhappy bunny, no body wants that.

Please bare in mind what I have said. I am not criticizing in any way, I simply wish to get as much information across about this animal as possible.

Kind Regards,

This is one reason why I am against the concept of "classroom pets" :?
You might think I shouldn't be talking since we have rabbits at school:roll: But that is an agriculture school, where the animals are taken well care of. But I don't beilieve animals belong in a primary school. :cry:

considered cruel amongst rabbit keepers to keep a lone rabbit

I would change that to animal welfare organisations (RSPCA, Rabbit Welfare Association)

this is wrong..it sends out the wrong message. please could you forward their email adress?thank you

Last edited:
this was emailed to them 26.11.07

Dear school. `
I would like to express how sorry i was to hear of your recent news involving Martha the rabbit. Everyone involved must be very upset...especially the pupils. I’m sure that whilst you have had Martha, the adults and especially pupils have learned about the responsibility, commitment and care that are involved with any pet whether they are as small as a fish or as big as a giraffe. I cant help but think that the children may be too young to know how to report an incident like this to the Animal Welfare Organisation e.g RSPCA or Rabit Welfare Association, but I feel better that a responsible adult amongst yourselves has already done so, after all, she was just like any other pet that had such a lovely, caring 'school family’
Maybe if I were Martha, I would also have thought about ‘escaping’ but would probably never manage to actually do so as I would hope to be in such a safe and secure environment in the first place i.e. a run with a ‘wire’ bottom so that I would not hurt my paws running/walking/hopping on it, but I would still have access to fresh grass along with either a mixed rabbit food or a pellet form food with all the nutrition and vitamins within it, and also fresh water, along with a sheltered part where I would go should I get scared, frightened or cold.
I would enjoy the thought of ‘packing my bag’ with possibly food, water and grass…imagine the independence! I probably wouldn’t have all the ‘medication’ involved to treat every single illness, but, id be safe in the knowledge that at least my six monthly and yearly vaccinations against Myximatosis and VHD were still current, up to date and recorded so that I knew when the vets were due to give me booster injections. I would not need to worry about that side of things as my loving family of caring and responsible school governors, head masters/mistresses, teachers; and pupils would have seen to make sure that my health checks etc were being carried out
I would then plan the ‘escape from my run’. ‘escape’ being the operative word as for an animal to have the chance to ‘escape’ from any enclosure would imply that the premise was not secure in the first place….
But before doing any of that, I would have a long hard think about the inevitable dangers and risks. I myself would hope and pray that a) I wasn’t going ‘to be taken by a fox’ (or attacked by anything for that matter) b) hope not to get run over, stood on or c) run into by humans. The list of dangers is endless.
I would weigh up the ‘pros’ of ‘escaping from my (safe and secure) run’ versus the ‘cons’ eg...Inevitably being ‘taken by a fox’ etc etc
I look forward to hearing from you as to what action has been taken since the incident and preventative measures should you choose to take responsibility of any animals in future; after all, it is against the law to not provide the basic necessities (I have taken the liberty of enclosing a detailed paragraph of the law below)
What does the law do?
It makes owners and keepers responsible for ensuring that the welfare needs of their animals are met. These include the need:
- For a suitable environment (place to live)
- For a suitable diet
- To exhibit normal behaviour patterns
- To be housed with, or apart from, other animals (if applicable)
- To be protected from pain, injury, suffering and disease
- The new law also increases to 16 the minimum age at which a person can buy an animal and prohibits giving animals as prizes to unaccompanied children under this age.
I will wait to hear from you.
Miss Chan

Back