• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More advice please.

Wend

Young Bun
Hiya,
some of you may remember me posting a few weeks ago about Shadow. She was around 2 weeks old when she came to me and with the help of you guys, she made it.

Shadow is now about 8 weeks old and I have to make some decisions about keeping her etc.
It would help me to make a decision if I could have a few questions answered please?

OK here goes,
Shadow has lived indoors since I have had her so I assume she will need to be kept indoors all winter?

What age is best to pal her up with a friend?

Will I have more chance of it working out if the friend is male?

At what age can she be spayed?

How much floor time should she have on a daily basis?

Sorry for so many questions but I want to get it right for her and above all I want her to be happy.

Thanks,
Wend.

Yes it is best to keep her indoors now until Spring.
My vet won,t spay until 6 months old.A neutered male would be the best pairing.Its best to wait until she has been spayed i believe before she gets a friend.
So glad to hear she is doing so well:D

OK here goes,
Shadow has lived indoors since I have had her so I assume she will need to be kept indoors all winter? Yes as she will not have developed a winter coat or temperature tolerance to the cold.

What age is best to pal her up with a friend? As soon as she is speyed and has recovered from the operation. Does can be speyed at around 6 months.

Will I have more chance of it working out if the friend is male? Yes it will give you a better chance of success.

At what age can she be spayed? Most vets say 6 months but some will spey when the rabbit reaches a kg in weight....the sooner the better so try phoning around.

How much floor time should she have on a daily basis? As mush as humanly possible, ideallly not less than 4 hours.

Thank you Becca and Sooz22 for taking the time to reply.

I honestly don't think I could get her out for a minimum of 4 hours daily as I have dogs, cats etc so would have to lock them out when she had her floor time. She does come out every day in my daughters room as I have bunny proofed that. I work every day so can only do this when I get home.

I guess that means I will have to let her go then.:(

Thanks for the advice.

Wend.

I don't necessarily think you need to rehome her. In the spring, with a boyfriend, she can go outside. If you get a shed or build a secure enclosure they can then have lots of space all the time. At the moment, she is a lot better off than a lot of bunnies. What sort of accommodation is she living in at the moment? Just make sure she has lots to keep her occupied - mine love treat balls, boxes of hay, willow twigs and baskets to destroy.....

Back