• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

depressed bunny?

Crazyt123

Alpha Buck
:cry: We lost Rudy yesterday morning .Rudy was Prince's first and only bunny friend.Ive noticed Prince has been himself ,He usauly binkys all over the place he seems to space out sometimes.He s still eating drinking normal.He is now a full time house bun hes only in a cage at night and if we have to leave.But hes not my little ball of boncying joy he usauly is.So Im thinking he is depressed about losing his brother.What would be the best thing to do?

I'm sorry about Rudy :cry: I've often noticed rabbits seem depressed after losing a companion. Is introducing another rabbit something you've thought about? There is no minimum time limit, just when and if you feel ready. A new friend usually perks up the partner :) In the interim a cuddly toy for when you are not there can help :D

thanks

Besides a cuddle toy and new partner is their anything else? We let me choose his spot,so hes confortable in it he has boxes and toys.
So is there anything else.

Also if I do get him a nes partner what do you think any gender will do. Him and Rudy were both boys.

Last edited:
Not really, just lots of extra attentions and things to keep him busy.

Although his previous partner was a boy, I'd recommend girl-boy pairings usually. Two boys can work out but it's much less certain and fights are more common.

Tam

So so sorry for your loss :cry: Its a sad time for you all

Try to think about what you would want and how you would feel if it were you who lost a best friend. Time will heal his hurt and plenty of attention from you. Take it his pace and I would agree with Tamsin that another friend would be the option longer term... but again when he is ready. How to tell that I am unsure... hopefully someone else on here will be able to advise better.

Hi
I am so sorry for your loss. Rabbits are social animals and they do miss their partners when one passes. We lost a rabbit last year and Homer was extremely depressed, he just sat there and did nothing. It was during this time he started to become ill with no real explanation and his fur went really dull. After 2 weeks I decided it was unfair to leave him on his own, even though he was used to coming in to us for cuddles, so we went to the RSPCA to get him a girlfriend (Katy). He perked up when we got her and brought her home 2 weeks later. They are not as close as Baby and Homer but they do keep each other company and clean each other.

It is a difficult decision to make for yourself and Prince but I would say go with your gut feeling. You know Prince best.

Hi
I am so sorry for your loss. Rabbits are social animals and they do miss their partners when one passes. We lost a rabbit last year and Homer was extremely depressed, he just sat there and did nothing. It was during this time he started to become ill with no real explanation and his fur went really dull. After 2 weeks I decided it was unfair to leave him on his own, even though he was used to coming in to us for cuddles, so we went to the RSPCA to get him a girlfriend (Katy). He perked up when we got her and brought her home 2 weeks later. They are not as close as Baby and Homer but they do keep each other company and clean each other.

It is a difficult decision to make for yourself and Prince but I would say go with your gut feeling. You know Prince best.

Hi

Back