• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting

mcantillon

New Kit
Hi All,

Myself and my wife are farly new to bunnine's we have only had one for six months.

Background
=========
We got Leo six months ago and after a couple of months realised that he needed more than we could offer him. We then decided to get a friend for him. We got Jasmine from a resuce centre about three months ago. We went thourgh the bonding and all seemed fine enjoying lots of grooming and snuggling together. After about a month tho' things start to go wrong. We came down stairs one monring to find fur everywhere. So on the advice of the rescue centre we seperated them and did the bonding process again. Once again all was fine.

Yesterday the fighting started again. We have them seperated again, where one is caged and one can roam free so they can see each other. Then we swap them and everytime they meet they fight.

Both are done, Leo was done about a week after we got him and Jasmine was done by the rescue centre so not sure how long.

Leo is about two years old and Jasmine is 18months.

Questions
=======

1. Is this normal?
2. Why does it keep happening?
3. What do we need to do?
4. Do we find Jasmine a new home and Leo a new friend?

Any advice we would be grateful for.

If more information is needed please just ask.

Kind Regards,

Matt and Fi

In my trio sophie had always been boss but recently i found her fur around the playhouse and found out it was topaz who was doing it as she is now the boss and bobby just keeps out of it,point being they could be just fighting for whos boss.rick

Thanks for info.

Do you suggest we just put them back together and let them sort it out?

If it lasts to long I think Leo will go bold, with the amount of fur Jasmine pulls out.

Thanks,

Matt.

Hi

I tried bonding my 2 rabbits, I have tried 2 or 3 times but everytime they meet they really go for each other hammer and tongs, I got my arm bitten off in one of the fights.
They hate the sight of each other, one of my rabbits, nearly went blind from one of the fights, his eye went all cloudy and puffed up like a golf ball, it was awful, poor little chap, after 2 weeks of a course of antibiotics and eye drops and various injections his eye got better, I would strongly think about putting them back together again, they could end up killing each other.

Is it just fur pulling? This in itself isnt much to worry about in my opinion :) Would it be possible for them to spend three-ish days in neutral territory? Whilst this is done, you'd need to clean the hutch/run etc thouraghly with white vinegar or suchlike. Im sure it can work out :D Xx

Becki,

It's fur pulling and jumping, it's like dancing but with anger. :)

This is the second time this has happend. We put them in neutral terrirory for a day last time and it all seemed fine after that until now. :(

I will try them again this weekend in neutral terrirory, but we are worried that it might all happen again.

Thanks all,

Matt.

The smaller the area the better is what I found, the more room they have to run, is when the chasing begins:? .

Also another good idea is to put them in a pet carrier and go out for a drive, this did the trick everytime for me. Then bring them back and put them in a neutral place again. When you feel the time is right put them back together in a completely cleaned hutch/shed so they cant smell each other so they think its a neutral place still.

good luck!!

:wave:

Back