• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I being cruel?

luzafloss

Young Bun
I read in a book that it is cruel to keep just 1 rabbit, as they are not happy. I only have 1 rabbit and I am not aloud anouther one (my perants won't let me) So am I really being cruel when Poppy seems fine to me :cry:

Hello! Personally I would say that the ideal is more than one, as they are social creatures and studies show that bonded rabbits are generally happier and choose to spend most of their time together. Is your bun outdoors or indoors? Again my personal preference would be that if you have one rabbit, ideally it should live indoors so at least it gets plenty of interaction with people. It's very difficult to do that with an outdoor bun which will be alone for probably 22+ hours each day. In my experience, bunnies have seemed fine on their own but when I have bonded them and seen the difference in their behaviour afterwards, I realise how much happier they have been when they have had a friend.

What are your parents concerns with two, do you think they would be open to persuasion or would it become difficult to afford? If not, try and give your bun as much space and as many things to do as possible so that she has plenty of things to do and doesn't get bored, plus a really cosy area to sleep especially in this weather.

Some buns do like to live alone but most prefer company of their own kind. If Poppy seems happy enough then maybe just leave alone for the time being. Maybe you can think about another bun later on? How old is Poppy ?
Charlie was an only bun for about 6 months before I brought Molly home and he seemed fine, he was a mummies boy and loved my attention, but I did notice the difference when Molly appeared (a year ago). They have been happy ever since :D

Yep agree with above... Charlie is a house bun so he always had our attention. If outdoors then def two is best, for company :D

I could afford anouther rabbit it is just they don't want one and I have tried to convince them but they won't warm up to the idea :cry: Poppy lives indoors and somtimes she just sits in the corner of her cage and stars at the wall latley she wn't come out of her cage either and for the question of what age, she has just turnend 2 so I am not sure if that is too old to be introduced to anouther rabbit (I don't think she has ever lived/soicelised with anouther rabbit as her mother rejected her)

Alvin fought his possible wife so is still single..... hard to please spoilt little :censored: he is.....

ive still yet to see this amazing change buns have when they get a partner...... but i hear so much i want a second bun desperately...

i dont think id be cruel if he stayed single tho because he cant really miss what hes never had and hes happy or he wouldnt binky so much or buzz me or circle my feet.... i personally dont think your cruel if you keep your bunny single and give your bunny lots of your time plus you cant control what your parents agree to either..... if your bunny seemed lonely and you couldnt devote lots of love and time then itd be cruel i think... this bunny business is hard isnt it :rolleyes:

Back