• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Completely Disheartened

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
When I started the rescue I wanted to avoid using euthanasia to deal with bunnies that would be hard to home..ones with problems that could be treated..

Alot of rescues PTS rabbits with dental probs...this is not a criticism of those rescue as sadly there is not the space to keep animals that will not find homes...and dental treatment in some parts of the country is horrendously expensive..more than rescues can afford to stand..

but as we are quite near vets who do teeth without GA..much less cost to an owner..I thought there would be people willing to take on a bun who would need a check up every 2 - 3 months and maybe burring at £10 every 12 weeks or so....when I announced this decision ages ago many people said "well done..these rabbits deserve a chance"

BUT..despite several appeals for people living near these vets to consider one of these rabbits we have only homed one, Milo, in 2 and a half years:cry:

Obviously many people think these rabbits deserve a chance...but they are not personally willing to give them one..so Duncan, Henry, Hettie, Minstrel, Harley, Chrissie, Barnanby, Dixie, Drew, Winnie and Amy..stay here waiting for there chance of a forever home which never comes:cry: :cry:

Last edited:
oh please dont hate us selfish people :(

id love to be one of the ones to offer a forever home to a needy bun, i know a teeth problem probably wouldnt break the bank, not only will Alvin not let me get another bun currently but if i ever do get a 2nd bun it would have to be my limit with our regular visits to scotland/tiny house so im as always torn by this website and the appeals that go out...plus im sure my o/h would seriously object as im already spending £15 per month on sponsership and we are still very very skint, i dont even know if my vet does that teeth thingy without GA... probably sounds like excuses i know and im sorry i cant be the decent person you really need to take one of these angels off your hands.. please dont feel bad there must be someone out there who will love them forever

I'm not aiming this at people on here particularly... we have also put up a poster in one of the vets with no response:cry:
I just feel so sad for these bunnies as they are all so lovely and would make such super pets..Minstrel is the best behaved bun you could wish to meet and would bond easily...but has been here for months..

3 people on here have been very kind in offering to sponsor some of these bunnies treatment:D

I'm planning to try to raise money to build a special area and then try a mass bonding for these rabbits.... so not all bleak for them..

i know you wasnt aiming and it rips my heart out that people pass over animals because they aint perfect.... it must be a million times worse for you living with it :(

Awww Jill, this is heartbreaking, but at least people are honest. There is no point someone taking a bun with problems if they can't manage it. It would be far worse to take the bun and not keep up with the dentals.

To be honest, I think a major problem is that the people on this forum are the ones who take in as many bunnies as they can and we need to get a meassage out elsewhere. There must be so many people who don't even know about this forum...

Its been something I've been thinking about for a while, the advice, the link to buns in need etc this forum needs promoting anywhere that has anything to do with bunnies, pet shops, garden centres, schools, vets, local press, national press....

Its a huge task, but one I'm sure can be achieved with the shared resources. Perhaps if we can get a press release drawn up we can all take a part in sending it out to our local newspapers.... that would be a start...

I will see what i can do but meanwhile anyone else with any ideas... post them here :thumb:

Please can you PM me the stats you have

Thanks

Jx

I guess other rescues have the same problem. Kirkby have always had lots of resident dental bunns.

that is sad! If you want to PM me Jill i would be more than happy to feature these bunnies in Bunny Mad Magazine and see if we could find them a home through my readers. i my self have taken on a bunny with dental problems and he's no trouble at all really and i am happy to pay the fees to give him the life he deserves. I wish you could find some people who feel the same as they are out there, maybe bunny mad could find them!;)

I was looking at RR the other day and wish I had more room to give one of the special needs buns a home but until I can persuade my b/f to have a playhouse on his tiny lawn I can't have another one.

I hope there is someone out there who can give them a home for you Jill. Sorry you are feeling unhappy about the situation with these buns. I hope you come to a solution to put your mind at rest.

Helen x

that is sad! If you want to PM me Jill i would be more than happy to feature these bunnies in Bunny Mad Magazine and see if we could find them a home through my readers. i my self have taken on a bunny with dental problems and he's no trouble at all really and i am happy to pay the fees to give him the life he deserves. I wish you could find some people who feel the same as they are out there, maybe bunny mad could find them!;)

Could you also make the story available to be sent elsewhere? Or even better ask some of the other publications you deal with to feature it? :D

Edit - and give the RU site & forum a mention too :thumb:

aww I bet it's awful not being able to find them all news homes, I certainly wouldn't be put off because it needed dental treatment. Hope you manage to find homes for them soon.
Sallyx

Awww Jill, this is heartbreaking, but at least people are honest. There is no point someone taking a bun with problems if they can't manage it. It would be far worse to take the bun and not keep up with the dentals.

To be honest, I think a major problem is that the people on this forum are the ones who take in as many bunnies as they can and we need to get a meassage out elsewhere. There must be so many people who don't even know about this forum...

Its been something I've been thinking about for a while, the advice, the link to buns in need etc this forum needs promoting anywhere that has anything to do with bunnies, pet shops, garden centres, schools, vets, local press, national press....

Its a huge task, but one I'm sure can be achieved with the shared resources. Perhaps if we can get a press release drawn up we can all take a part in sending it out to our local newspapers.... that would be a start...

I will see what i can do but meanwhile anyone else with any ideas... post them here :thumb:

Please can you PM me the stats you have

Thanks

Jx

That is a really good idea, if we all had a press release to approach the local press with all at the same time we could hopefully make the nationals aswell.

Jill, I know you are very busy but I wondered whether posting pictures of the other bunnies I asked about might help people to uncontrolably fall in love...oh ok then I admit it I want to see Barnaby :roll:

Its so sad. If I had room at the Inn and a more stable bank balance I would take one on. But my horse is draining me right now! :roll:

I think the sponsorship would be a good idea until they are rehomed, it is a shame that they are overlooked or that suitable vets aren't available for people who will rehome them. Poor buns.

It really is a sad situation. :(

Theyre all lovely, but having looked after Minstrel for a few months, I feel so sorry for him. He shouldnt really have dental problems, he's not really a lop and he doesnt have a squished head shape like a Nethie, I'm doing my best to keep him eating well to help his teeth as much as possible. You couldnt ask for a better behaved bun, but he craves attention and would love a partner in a home of his own.

I hope he, and all the others, gets what they deserves.

I really am amzed that you have so mauchj trouble rehoming them....are they all 'severe' dental bunnies or do some just need occasional molar burrs?

Its just that we have had quite a few molar rabbits and not found it prevented us rehoming them.

Oh and if circumstances ever improve with Caspian.....Chrissy :oops:

ARC have a few bunnies with problems that we pay for their long term vet bills using our vet for specific problems. These rabbits are either long term fostered out or adopted by someone.

We have one local 'lady' who has had a number of these in her care, they get looked after better than she looks after herself :D This way they are not 'blocking' up foster hutches which can then be used for more 'homeable' rabbits.

I havent written this quite as well as I could have, hopefully people will get the jist of it.

Sooz you are very lucky then as these bunnies are always overlooked here:cry:
They are a mixture of severe dentals and occassional burrings...

Back