• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

where do i begin??

greengirlie

Young Bun
:wave:

im a recent membe rto this forum and have come across some similar probs but i have a few questions i would like some help/advice on....

Harry (tan lionhead) and Dot (black angora x lionhead) were rescued form the RSCPA they came down from colwyn Bay Northwales to be with me in barry south wales. they came from a marriage split in birmingham.

1) the buns i rescused from RSPCA are bonded when i got them, they groom, always sit by each other and cwtch(cuddle) but have been scrapping since they arrived.. i noticed a small scab on Dot near her eye (poss a scratch when scratching herself OR from harry when they been fighting am not sure.) i have heard this is a territorial thing that they need to do to see who is boss but im finding it hard as have to break them up.. it makes me upset as wnat them to be happy and get along...
even though this happens they still follow each other, groom etc.. ( not loads but everyday at least!

2) although they do go in the litter tray they are pooing ALL OVER the pen floor so its a constant cleanup and trying to get them to use their tray... i have ensure the cage is clean and that the litter tray has some hay with their own wee and poo so the smells are in there to coax them to use it. (i believe they were outdoor buns prev but indoors during the cold months)

3) Insurance Vs Savings

Do i get insurance for them or shal i save a certian amount each month??? i had insurance for Oscar (RIP my little bun x) but would it be worth saving £20 or something each month??

i am such a paranoid bun mum since Oscar passed. i constantly check my buns ears for the temp... harry's seem to go cold quite often but heat up quickly... fluctuates alot... i paniced the first time and rang my vet but both seem healthy, eat plenty and drink lots and loving the hay!

any suggestions??

sorry tis long but thankyou for reading and commenting :D

Have they both been neutered? If only the male has been done then it would help to get the female done as well.

How long has this been going on?

Even when they were bonded before, a new territory (move) always comes with a new "finding out who's boss" period. But is shouldn't take more then a few days of chasing normally.

So as long as it is just hairs flying around and just that 1 small bite the first few days after they moved, that's not uncommon.

The pooing everywhere is normal too, when they just moved, they need to mark te space as being theirs. This might go on a bit more then a few days though...

i got them on the 7th Novemeber, which is not long ago. the fighting as im aware is not as bad as it was but last night i heard them from upstairs chasing and banging into stuff etc.... had to seperate and distract with food!!

:wave:
1. are they both neutered - neutering the un-neutered one may help this. Also they haven't been there long so maybe are still settling. do they have lots of toys and exercise?

2. I have same prob atm but am hoping a. will settle down once they are established and b. when Nettle is speyed will get better.

3. Lots of people seem to be with petplan on here and also lots have a bunny savings account they put x amount in per month. I just have credit card! :shock:

i got them on the 7th Novemeber, which is not long ago. the fighting as im aware is not as bad as it was but last night i heard them from upstairs chasing and banging into stuff etc.... had to seperate and distract with food!!

Are you sure it was really serious?
Even my madly in love twins ,wake us up in the middle of the night because they are chasing eachother... This is mainly because the female hasn't been spayed yet and she wants some action and gets it for herself... he gets mad ,they chase eachother and then she goes back up and apologises...:lol:

You only had 1 bun before? Might be that you are just not used to the way they sometimes interact? Would be interseting to know what causes this chasing and who is chasing who...

they are both neutered and supposedly before been given to rspca.. harry is 1 nad dot is 2... there are no visible bald patches etc to show spaying.. but both are.

i found 3 small spot scabs above dots eye and dont know if from scratching or scrapping... will keep an eye incase gets infected but so far all seems fine. they arent as bad as before but do chase each other and fur does fly... unsure whether playful or dominant.. he does try to mount (male dominance) and she nips his bum.. the latter causes chasing etc.

yeah i had pet plan before and did like them maybe i will do savings and petplan...

thanks!! :D

Back