• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training......or not litter training as its turns out!

vicky206

Mama Doe
i have recently got a new dog crate it is his second week in now, everything was going perfectly he was using the litter tray, yesterday i noticed loads of stray poops on the cage mat, well we all know where there is poops there is wee!:shock: :roll:

I lifted the cage mat only to discover it was wet! i used my pet disifectant cleaned everything (have not managed to put cage mat through washer yet as it was 11.30pm yesterday when i found out).

I am not sure now if this is going to be permanent and he will never use the litter tray, can everyone give me as me tips as possible on how to overcome this and get him fully litter trained?

P.S he is neutered(sp?) thanks so much:p

use a high sided underbed storage box - my boy Benny always goes over the edge of his tray even when it's just been emptied, as he backs his bum up into the corner. Alternatively, if you don't want the space to put hay, use a corner tray as they are purposely high backed.

If he's actually weeing in other areas rather than over the side of his tray, put more trays in - Maa has about 4" strip of floor for food/water dishes - the rest is litter trays and it's the only thing that's worked with her.

The high sided litter tray is good, mine tend to hang out over the side too given a chance. The other thing I alsoways found works (although this was on a hard non absorbant floor) is to wipe up the wee with ktchen towl & put this in the litter box. then mop up the rest with vinager. Hopefully then the litter tray smells like wee and not the floor. Maybe you could try a couple of layers of newspaper above the matt until he gets the hang.

I started to toilet train Poppy when I first got her. What I did was when she wee/pooped somwhere I didn't want her too I put white vinagar down (Rabbits hate the smell) I bought her a litter tray and if she went to the toilet anywhere except in her litter tray the vinagaur came out. She never poops anywhere apart from her litter tray :lol:

thanks for all the input,i have changed things in the crate i had some plastic mats from b&q from when he was not neutered and used to have little accidents!

The mat is now in the bottom of the crate instead of the cage mat, this morning there was not even a stray poop let alone wee, litter tray was full and stinky (never thought i would be please to see that!)

the plastic mat was going to be temporary until his wooly mat was washed but i might leave it this way the house gets quite warm and the mat is alot cooler and i have put his little dog bed back in so he can have a comphy kip if he want to!

Does this sound like a good solution?:wave:

Charlie is brilliant with litter trays but Poppy likes to make my life difficult, they have trays in both bedroom compartments and use both and she decides that she is going to pee in the door way of one of them so I'll have to buy a kitten one to put in that space- she poops all over too. Its a good job she's so cute. Do you think its easier litter training house buns- Charlie was trained in the house?

Back