• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dolly has bloat - u/d 12.20pm - u/d 13.45 she has gone ;-(

I don't normally post if my rabbits are ill but this time I'm really panicked!

I cleaned out her litter tray Tuesday evening and during the course of the tuesday night and wednesday daytime she did a good amount of poohs, normal size and colour and ate a good amount of hay!

She didn't seem very active last night, but sometimes isn't so didn't worry too much (ok.. I worried but I didn't call the vet as it was so late at night) but this morning looks terrible! She didn't seem quite herself last night and hasn't eaten last nights dinner. She is sat virtually stationary, hardly got her eyes open and just looks awerful!

I feel so bad, I left the house yesterday at just gone 7 and didn't get back in until 11! I feel terrible that she could have been ill for such a long time without me knowing - coz I was out having fun!! I didn't call the vets last night and now think that I should have done...

I'm meant to be at work now, but I'm at home waiting to take Dolly to the vets! Managed to get hold of them and got an appointment for 9.10, I hope I've not left it too later. I've not called work yet and don't know what to say when I do!

Can't get hold of my mum as she's out of mobile reception! I know I'm thirty and can cope on my own, but I'm worried about Dolly being so ill and getting told off by work!

Last edited:
Poor Dolly :cry:

Sending tonnes of vibes for the poorly girl

Good luck, lets us know how she gets on xxxx

I have just got back from the vets. They said it was bloat which is what I suspected. I have left her there as they wanted to keep her in for intensive treatement.

She looked so awerful, so lathergic, paws were all strewed, didn't even have the inclination to pull them together.

:cry:

awww dear - hope she'll be OK :( If ever you notice they are not very lively, force them to run about a bit and that usually gets their guts going again - I get a broom into the back of Benny's run sometimes and prize him out of his bed, as he's often lethargic. Also if you give them water with a splash of boiling out of the kettle in this weather, it can encourage them to drink more, so keeps their guts moving - mine seem very reluctant to drink cold water outside.

I didn't like to leave her as I think animals can sometimes do better in their own surroundings. I feel so responsible, I meant of course I am responsible she is my animal! It just had to happen the one day I'm out of the house for so long (normally my parents would be home but they are on holiday), just keep thinking of what I should have done instead of what I did do...

I'm at work now as I can't do anything for Dolly and have to trust the vets, they should be updating me through the day.

So worried and guilty, seriously shaking!

Hannah

I didn't like to leave her as I think animals can sometimes do better in their own surroundings. I feel so responsible, I meant of course I am responsible she is my animal! It just had to happen the one day I'm out of the house for so long (normally my parents would be home but they are on holiday), just keep thinking of what I should have done instead of what I did do...

I'm at work now as I can't do anything for Dolly and have to trust the vets, they should be updating me through the day.

So worried and guilty, seriously shaking!

Hannah

Oh the power of hindsight.......

We all make mistakes. Beating yourself up about it wont help Dolly. You have now made sure she receives treatment and hopefully the Vets can get her better.
I defy anyone who says they *always* do the right thing by their Buns. We try to, of course, but no-one is perfect. We just have to learn from our errors when we get it wrong.

Sending get well vibes for Dolly

Janex

Oh the power of hindsight.......

Janex

Yes if only...

Well she is with the professionals I have entrusted them with her care and will take each update and decision as it comes.

I spend far too much time wondering "what if"... "if only"...etc...

My poor little girl.

Hannah

The vet has just called me (before she went off duty for the day).

There is no improvement in Dolly. They have given her some fluids and started some medication. But is very concerned about her - sounded like she was preparing me for the worst. Did mention something that I think she referred to as "tubeing", that might be an option later. (I've done a quick search on here to find out what she meant). She is hoping that the pain killers will take affect and Dolly will "relax". Bless her, she is so sweet and kind.

Hannah

They have just called to say she didn't make it.

I'm sat at my desk and can't think about it too much now or else I will cry - not good at work!

oh my god hannah im so sorry! I didnt think you were going to lose her, this must be a massive shock...sending so many hugs to you. binky free little dolly.

xxxxxx

Back