• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Piper trying to attack...

Rice

Mama Doe
...my new little bunny man! :shock: I got Alfred, my new bun, neutered on Monday and I was planning on bonding the two in about a month. I wanted to let them both out last night to get them exercise so I put up a gate in the doorway so they could both roam my house but be seperated.

Bad idea...:no: Piper went immediately over to the gate and started growling and snapping at Alfred and I was swear if the gate hadn't been there she would have killed him! I ran over and pulled her away and shut her in my bedroom. They were both a little shaken after the incident.

I take this as a very bad sign... Haven't people let their buns get to know each other's smells and put their cages by each other before bonding?? Should I still try to bond them in a few weeks? I think I was more upset by the whole thing than the buns...

Had she ever seen him before? ^^;

I suppose, if you think about it and assuming she has not, to her there's some stranger walking around her house... Putting their cages within sight of one another will certainly help each bun become accustomed to the presence of another. They can observe one another, at a distance, and grow used to the company of another rabbit.

If it's somewhere she's been a lot before she probably trying to say "that my room get the hell out". If he's only just been neutered then he may also have some residual hormonal sent that she's responding to. Is she neutered herself?

She had seen him a little, when he was in his pet carrier after the vet. I didn't really let her near him since he'd just had surgery and I didn't want her to upset him. She's been smelling him on me since I got him too. Should I be worried by her reaction though? How hostile she was, I swear she wanted to tear him apart... :shock:

I think she's just being territorial - that's why it's got to be neutral territory when they meet - a lot of people say not to let them 'meet' first with wire seperating them as it just makes them hate each other - Benny bit Tia's face when I housed them next to each other initially and I never bonded them in the end. I would keep them well apart and do bonding somewhere totally neutral.

Back