• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor or Outdoor?

Elldes

New Kit
HI ALL!!! As some of you may no that i have just got myself a baby Rabbit and that i have got her a new (HUGE) indoor cage. I have now been told by some people that i am being cruel so i need advice!!
People are saying to me that RABBITS should not be in door pets and that they should be living out doors at all times!!! Well i disagree as you may have noticed! I feel so guilty leaving her outside all on her lonesome and feel that it doesnt matter if you have space in your house then Rabbits can be indoor pets just as much as outdoor pets! She is not going to be locked up in her cage 24/7 as we luv picking her up and giving her cuddles, playing with her even talking to her! I just like to sit and watch her move about so freely!! So does any one out there think i am WRONG to have her as an indoor pet (i no this may b a silly question as this is a rabbit forum but i am so annoyed of people laughing about having an indoor rabbit as a pet!!) :wave: THANK YOU!

I've had the same kind of responses from a few of my friends. It's because they've been brought up thinking rabbit=outdoor hutch. Keep your bunny inside! It's much better for a single rabbit because they get the attention they need. Plus, it's more fun for you to have her running around the house! :D

I've had the same kind of responses from a few of my friends. It's because they've been brought up thinking rabbit=outdoor hutch. Keep your bunny inside! It's much better for a single rabbit because they get the attention they need. Plus, it's more fun for you to have her running around the house! :D

THANK YOU! As that is how i feel!!

Unfortunately rabbits have traditionally been outdoor pets. Having a house bunny is a relatively new trend. I have 6 indoors.

I would say that your bunny will be much happier being indoors and getting constant attention from you than outdoors on her own.

That's crazy.
Why would it be cruel to keep them indoors?
I've found keeping them as indoor rabbis may even be easier than keeping them outside, you won't have to go out into the cold to be with them, which makes cage-cleaning easier (especially for me in winter-time. I hate going out in the winter, but I've got to, having 2 outdoor rabbits and no room to keep them inside)
I have two outdoor rabbits and one indoor one, and I can assure you I love all of them just the same. The male was actually moved inside for his health, because he got sore paws, and I didn't want him to be out in the rain and get worse. Now winter has arrived, and it could be dangerous to just move him back out into the cold, besides... I have 2 outdoor hutches and 1 indoor cage:roll: So until dad makes me new cages, I have to keep one inside, not that I mind, the girls were sometimes a pain to have indoors since they were so noisy, but Sasuke is a little angel.:D

Who told you this? Do they have rabbits themselves? I suspect not!

Being a single rabbit it's much kinder to keep her inside with you because this way even though she doesn't have a bunny friend, she has humans for socialization, and it sounds to me like you very much enjoy her company :D

I completely understand why you don't want her living outside on her own, and I think most people would agree that it would be cruel :?

Hunny is gorgeous! :love:

Mine are indoors and i think they make brilliant pets. Everyone who comes round is amazed at how social they are! Be prepared for them to chew everything though :lol:

my 2 are indoors and are very happy. they get lots more attention and get to hang out with us and rampage around the place. I think if you only have 1 bunny especially it should be inside as they like company. I think rabbits are happy both indoors or outdoors and neither are wrong or cruel (and one of mine is a wild rabbit and he loves it mountain climbing on the sofa and lying next to the radiator!).

:) House rabbits are definitely the way to go! Molly and Dizzy used to be garden buns but would come in the house sometimes to play. They were sociable, but nowhere near as sociable as Ant and Hoops who only know the house! Yes, it means I have a hutch in my living room and yes, there's hay strewn all over the house, but I would never go back to outdoor bunnies now. Sounds like you're doing exactly the right thing!

I love having my bunnies living in the house - even though they cause havoc and would destroy anything left in their way - but the rewards of seeing them all the time I'm at home outweigh all that.

I would love them just as much if they were outdoors, but wouldn't be able to give them the same time and attention - particularly in winter. For me it suits me but I know it doesn't for a lot of people. Whatever is right for you is right for the bunnies.

:)

I had the same problem with an old uni housemate, I got so fed up with him making out I was a bad owner I sat him down and typed housebunny into google - well it soon shut him up!!!!:lol:

Hi :wave:

I love having my bunnies live in the house with me, years ago a lot of people did think it strange but I've found that a lot more people are aware of House Bunnies now.

Be prepared for the chewing though you may need to bunnyproof as they can be quite destructive.
Hunny is gorgeous I saw her picture on another post. :love:

My rabbit leave with me inside the House and it's great! He's part of the family and I wouldn't him to be out on his own poor thing!

He's watching TV with us, joining us in bed at the weekend. He's with us all the time and I love that and I'm sure he's happy.

When we are at work, he's got the free run of the Kitchen so he's not in his cage all the time.

Alvins a house bunny, i personally would feel cruel putting him outside as i know 100000% hed be neglected if i had to go out to visit him/clean his hutch.... i wouldnt keep a dog outside and would take offence if someone told me its cruel to have dogs inside so id also take offence at someone telling me its cruel to keep a rabbit inside too.... im half and half with the chipmunks.... i would like a big colony of them in an avairy but the two i have currently are house chippies and always will be.... i like all of my pets with me in our home together... i even let the bloke live in the house too :lol: :lol:

stick to your guns, if your bunny is happy what does it matter where it lives???

My vet says they should be strictly outdoor pets and live on grass. I think he is backward of the times and so thinks traditionally. If I could change anything about having bunnies, I would have them indoors(if I had the space!!), because I think you get a better bond, and at the moment, I am struggling to find that bond that I really want from my outdoor bunnies.

Hi,

I'd keep my rabbi indoors if i could but my friend and house owner refuses to let me so he's outside but i do bring him in evenever possible.

Rach

I love having my two indoors. they do mean that there is a hay smell but its nice. i have a lovely bond with them xx

I'd love to have my bunny indoors but it just wouldn't be safe for him to be in the house. The house is too messy and there isn't much room to put him.

He is outside on his own at the moment, which I hate. I feel really awful leaving him outside on his own. But he'll have a nice bunny palace and a girlfriend within the next few weeks so I can't wait!

:D

people are old fashioned and short sighted. When I was thinking of getting bunnies there was a busy body at work who started saying they shouldn't be kept inside. What they say is not based on fact its based on assuption and would does assume do? :lol:

Back