• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can i pick your brains

Hello:wave: . i'm new to this forum, but i keep rabbits and piggies. I let my rabbits have a litter if i know people who would like a baby rabbit. However, i had a litter about 6 weeks ago and when the babies were born there eyes appeared to be open and when mum dropped them into the nest they got hair in them. And as a result some of the babies have some degree of blindness and the smallest of the litter has no eyes at all! They are all playfull and eating well, so i will keep most of that litter.
This morning i have found my german lop has had a small litter of babies and two of them seem to have had their eyes open and although there is no hair sticking out, there is hair keeping the eye lids apart.
So to finally get to the point, is it happenening again, and if so should i try and gently wipe the eye with a fluid? Or should i leave them alone and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks Sharon

So sorry to hear about your babies :cry:

If they all have eye conditions, and one has no eyes at all, I would suspect it is a birth defect rather than getting dirt in their eyes.

Are Mum and Dad bunny related in any way?

I think you need to ask advice from your vet as soon as possible, to see if there is any chance of saving the sight of these little ones.

Amy

hya,i thought babies were born with their eyes shut?hope you can find the problem.x:wave:

You are totally correct, rabbits are normally born with their eyes closed.

It sounds like there is a genetic problem which one or more of these rabbits may carry. My suggestion would be to discontinue breeding from these rabbits which prevents the genes being passed on to further generations.

Hi

Sorry to hear about your babies, I hope the vet can help them. I also just wanted to say that maybe you could point people in the direction of a rescue of they are looking for a rabbit, they have babies too.

Hi, three of my rabbits are from the RSPA and two from a breeder who was unable to care for the high number of rabbits that she had, therefore would always support that course of finding a new bunny. However i do like to have a couple of litters of babies a year, which all go to good homes, most of which i keep in touch with. And if at any point the rabbit is no longer wanted for whatever reason i will always take them back. So hopfully my rabbits will never float around from home to home, or need to go to a rescue.

I hope the babies will be okay too, thanks Sharon

There is no way you should be breeding from any rabbits with unknown lines/parentage. This is a recipe for disaster because you don't know any genetic problem which might have been present in the past, and could crop up in the future.

I would advise not breeding from your rescue RSPCA rabbits, and only breed from your others if the original breeder has kept full records of lineage.

Amy

Hi, i dont breed from these rabbits, would never dream of it:shock: . They have all come from distressing backgrounds and these are our pets who now need love and attention. I have nine rabbits and breed from two. And i only have a couple a year and will let them rest around 6 months in between.

I would advise not breeding from your rescue RSPCA rabbits, and only breed from your others if the original breeder has kept full records of lineage.

Amy

I didnt think you were allowed under the adoption conditions to breed from the RSPCAs rabbits? Not that it stops people if they are 'intact' but still...

I didnt think you were allowed under the adoption conditions to breed from the RSPCAs rabbits? Not that it stops people if they are 'intact' but still...

Nope, don't think you are allowed to breed from them...but I've know loads of people breed from RSPCA rabbits and cats. :roll:

I don't breed from my rescue bunnies. And i choose to breed my other rabbits a little because i enjoy it....

But do you know the full history of the rabbits you breed from? i.e. going back several generations?

If not, then your rabbits are really not suitable for breeding, and if you insist on carrying on breeding then may I suggest that you acquire some quality rabbits from a breeder who can verify that their line has no known genetic defects...babies being born without eyes is very serious, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCE should the pairing be mated again.

Very sad :cry:

I came to the forum for advice which i am grateful for. My rabbits that i breed have come from breeding stock and i am aware of their family trees so to speak. I was very careful to buy my rabbits from different places across the south east to ensure that there would be no cross overs anywhere.

The rabbit with no eyes is the smallest in the litter and is completly unrelated to this new litter.

I feel a little judged here, I came for some help but i feel i got more than i bargained for.

I came to the forum for advice which i am grateful for. My rabbits that i breed have come from breeding stock and i am aware of their family trees so to speak. I was very careful to buy my rabbits from different places across the south east to ensure that there would be no cross overs anywhere.

The rabbit with no eyes is the smallest in the litter and is completly unrelated to this new litter.

I feel a little judged here, I came for some help but i feel i got more than i bargained for.

well done for taking the initiative to ask. i do wish you the best luck with this litter.
Please don't feel judged, some people on this forum have strong opinions against breeding and are just expressing that x

Sorry didn't mean to be rude or judgemental, however, I have 3 rescue bunnies and 1 from a lady who due to her change of circumstances could no longer keep her. I know that most of the rescues are full, and I cannot take in any more due to lack of space and cost, so I guess I'm just trying to say there are so many bunnies out there that are in need of homes, we all need to be responsible and not just breed for the sake of it:( Sorry if you feel it's personal, it's not meant to be:oops:

Back