• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how many pellets?

kimd6200

Banned
hya all,been thinkin n just wonderin how many pellets should i be giving thumper?hes on massey feeds pellets which are very tiny pellets.he curently gets half a bowl full but he dont eat them all.gets veg at night n hay all day.any ideas would be great.xx

No one may have answered as this is not one I have heard of before.

In general most manufacturers suggest 25 - 50g per average rabbit. If yours is not eating the lot I would have to come to the assumption that this is too much. Does your bun eat lots of hay?

I think its one of those things no one can answer if I'm honest. Everyone feeds different amounts and I think it totally depends on the make of food and the individual rabbit. I have to feed mine limited amounts because Pippa can suffer from the runs, whereas a friend of mines feeds twice as much and her rabbits are fine.

Little and often is good and maybe feed what you are now but split it and feed twice a day?

If he is not eating all his pellets, cut his food back slowly until you discover what he is eating. Weigh this amount out and then reduce it a small amount to encourage him to eat more hay.

To be honest half a bowl if it is the standard bowl that is used for rabbits is quite a lot for one rabbit.

It would depend how big he is, or if he's a kit, how big he'll be as an adult.
I usually feed my dwarf (2 kgs) one handful, and about two handfuls for my rexes (they're 3 kgs)

I give mine one handful a day of A&P pellets to share between all 3 of them. My hands are only small so its not that much at all

I feed one loose measure of (about a hand full) to my Netherland Dwarf, and one brimming measure with the same cup to my Dwarf Lop.

I have always wondered what te correct amount would be.... the lop doesn't stop eating hay... eat....eat...eat.... his pellets go down in about 30 mins...

Do I give him more pellets ?..... hummm.... really don't know... when he isn't eating hay he munches poo balls... :D . Forever eating he is.... well, only when he isnt lamped out snoozing of course.

Well it certainly isn't what most manufacturers reccommend, they want you to use more so you buy more :roll:

I give Arnie about 2 small handfulls but have found the best way is to monitor their poops, if they are producing too many soft poos then you are probably feeding too much, on the other hand that may just be because the food you are feeding had a low fibre count.

I only feed enough to keep them going until 12pm, I feed at 8am so that's 4 hours to gobble down breakfast (I am lucky that they dont gobble down loads of pellets at once). This also ensures they eat their greens in the evening :lol:

thanks for the advice.he is a tiny dwarf lop.his bowl is one of those little bunny dishes.ill cut them down n see wat happens.thanks.xxxx

Back