• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

By Bun Is Scratching His Hutch All The Time? - Advice Please

nixxy83

Young Bun
Hello all,

I have an in door rabbit Smudge and when first got him had sawdust in his house and he use to sit and scratch at it all the time, but dont they all. So asked the vet and she said put fleece in there and set up a litter box, so I did this and it has been great.

HOWEVER

Now Smudge has decided that as soon as I change his litter box woth fresh litter pellets, he turns the litter tray upside down and then scratches all the bits around his house, and then spends all day in the corner scratching at the house.

What advice do any of you have?

Much appreciated

I give my girls a big cardboard box to dig at and rip to bits - they love it! Also if they like digging you could try a deep plastic storage box (the type that stores junk in the loft, or toys in a playroom) and fill it with litter for him to dig - hopefully the high sides will keep most of the mess in. Does he have lots of hay to nibble on? They do like it fresh daily, and nice green hay from a farm rather than a pet shop - quite often a good supply of hay will stop behaviour that seems a bit obsessive.

Back