• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does a gain of 25% bunny poos equals 25% gain in diet?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
If a bunny generates an extra 25% of bunny poos daily, for say, a few weeks, does that mean this bunny's diet gain by approx. 25%?

poo = food x (1- Assimulation%)

Assume bunnys assimulate 10% of their intake. They eat 100g of food

poo = 100 x 0.9 = 90g

If poo increases by 25%

1.25 x 90g = 112.5g = (100g X ?) x 0.9

? = 112.5g/90g = 1.25 i.e. you also increased food by 25%

So the answer....at least in this example is YES. Although this requires you to increase in direct proportion their pellet/hay/veg intake so they have a constant rate of absorption of food. If you increase pellets only say by 50% you would see less than a 50% increase in poo (although they probably wouldn' eat their cacotrophs so that would serve you right.

Last edited:
Would this not depend on the total quantity of fibre eaten.

Humans can eat a low residue diet to decrease the amount and frequency to poo, I would have thought that if rabbits are eating a higher fibre diet that their output would increase ....

I am sure Carys would be able to assist on this topic ;)

thanks. Where's the above formula come from?

My brain.....we obviously absorb some of what we eat, like protein, carbs fat and water but excrete fibre and water and a few other bits and pieces. If we eat a relatively constant diet the amount we absorb/excrete should stay the same so is a certain percentage of what we consume. But obviously it we will excrete more if we eat lots of fibre and less if we eat the same volume of food which is richer in proteins/fats & carbs. I have heared of some very overweight peeps who only go to the toilet once a week :shock: . They eat huge amounts but very low in fibre and so their whole digestive process slows down.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh hahahahahahhaha love it! Well if in my diet I eat 25% more I just get bunged up and have a great big rock hard turd :shock:

Well as you say I ALWAYS start poo threads, I turn my back for one moment and you fall into my role :shock: :lol:

It doesn't really matter if buns assimulated 10,20 or 50% of the food they consumed. I just used 10% as an example to show how poo relates to food if poo has increased by 25%. If buns assimulated 50% of what they eat, a 25% increase in food (all other things equal) would lead to a 25% increase in poo.

I don't know how much of food is pooed by buns and how much consumed. I imagine because of all the hay, the fibre % is quite high.....but then they do eat it twice.

Back