• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rehoming over Christmas

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Do other rescues have a block of time where they stop rehoming over the Christmas/New Years period?

I know of some over larger rescues that have a christmas rehoming break but not any rabbit rescues.

Its my first year of running the rescue and I havn't yet decided on our Christmas policy so would be interested in others views.

Obviously not a rescue, but I would have thought you would be able to tell the people who arent so serious when you meet them and homecheck? Not sure though.

Also some people might find it easier to adopt around holidays just because they have time off work and will be home during the day for a homecheck and to be with the bunny while it settles in :D I had trouble just arranging a time for homechecking when I was adopting Beau because they couldnt do weekends or after 5. I pretty much had to beg them to come there and then :lol:

We don't home over the Christmas period..I would say from at least the 18th December to the 3rd Jan would be a good time to not let animals go..
people tend to have too much on and houses are more chaotic during that time

Thanks Jill.

It was more the Christmas upheaval I was worried about than the 'present' aspect....its stressful going to a new home at the best of times without noise, decorations, excitement, lots of people coming and going etc.

I was hoping Muffin might have a new wife before xmas as he is definitely lonely on his own, but no one seems to be able to help at the moment with a lady bun for him :(
A couple of the rescues I've spoken to and/or rung have said they take everyone on their own merits over xmas e.g 1st time bunny owner or request for a baby rabbit is definitely a straight no. Someone who has just lost a bun and is looking for another or one for bonding, if they meet usual homecheck requirements etc it would go ahead as usual.

I was hoping Muffin might have a new wife before xmas as he is definitely lonely on his own, but no one seems to be able to help at the moment with a lady bun for him :(
A couple of the rescues I've spoken to and/or rung have said they take everyone on their own merits over xmas e.g 1st time bunny owner or request for a baby rabbit is definitely a straight no. Someone who has just lost a bun and is looking for another or one for bonding, if they meet usual homecheck requirements etc it would go ahead as usual.

thats our policy too;)

if someone has a genuine reason for wanting to get a bun at that particular time and everything is ok then fair enough ....
but if people can wait its better for us ...we need a break too :?

I agree with the general consensus here that the normal answer is 'no homing over Christmas' but that if you want to flex, each case could be taken on its merits. I adopted a bun about 2 days before Christmas several years ago because I had a mourning rabbit after her partner died. Also for me, Christmas is a great time to adopt an animal because I get a week off work and we tend to go to relative's houses rather than have them all come here, so disruption wise, it's no different to any other time of the year except I'm around more. Great point about rescues needing a break too, though!

I'd agree with being flexible if you decide in general not to home over Christmas - there are people who don't have many family or don't have them over and people who don't celebrate Christmas so it doesn't always have to be a chaotic time, and as said it may be some people's best time for settling in a new rabbit and having time for bonding

I'd agree with being flexible if you decide in general not to home over Christmas - there are people who don't have many family or don't have them over and people who don't celebrate Christmas so it doesn't always have to be a chaotic time, and as said it may be some people's best time for settling in a new rabbit and having time for bonding

I agree with this, and for the other reasons, for instance wanting a companion for your current rabbit.
Sallyx

I don't agree with not rehoming over Christmas. I think cases should be judged on an individual basis. If I was rehoming an animal, Christmas would be a perfect time as I always have two weeks off so can help them settle in and spend lots of time with them.

Ben's Mum - yay! the siggy still winks!!! :lol:

again, not a rescue, but I'd say still go ahead with homechecking etc. and allow people to reserve buns for collection after the x-mas/new year chaos...

In general I dont rehome for 2 weeks around the christmas period however I do make exceptions. If someone has had a rabbit or guinea pig pass away and want another companion for the one they have got left I will often help them in those cercumstances.

I don't rehome over Christmas unless it is someone I know personally or to someone who as already got one of my rescues, I don't rehome at Easter also, again unless I know the people well.

I don't think I'll rehome any piggies after mid Dec until the new year.

I've had an enquiry about the pair of sows and I'll follow that through if the home's suitable. I've got 1 piggie coming in next week, leaving me with 2 resuce pigs (or 4 if the home for the sows isn't suitable) until the new year.

In general I dont rehome for 2 weeks around the christmas period however I do make exceptions. If someone has had a rabbit or guinea pig pass away and want another companion for the one they have got left I will often help them in those cercumstances.

That's exaclty what I was thinking.

Definately do each case individually, as mentioned before some people may not be doing alot for xmas this year (like myself) and have the time off. It would be a perfect time for me to home a bunny if my house wasnt already packed full of animals!

You will know who is taking the mickey when they contact you, all you can do is ask why they want the rabbit and what are their plans over xmas.

Right we will be rehoming until the 20th December and will resume on the 27th unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Selfish as this may sound the 7 day period is more so I can have a bit of R & R as work will also be very busy over the festive period and i will be required to work overtime.

Sounds fair to me. If they're not prepared to wait a week (unless it's an "emergency", in which case I'm sure they'd explain it) they're already stumbling at the first hurdle (planning your life around the animals!)

Back