• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Boredom

Kenno

Warren Scout
Hey :wave:

I have 2 questions, I really need some advice on. So I figured this would be the best place to come! =]

My bunny Tomee is currently a single outside bunny. =[ His hutch is a hutch/run combination but whilst I'm out at work I take out the ramp so he can't go in the run. I've been thinking recently he needs more excercise than he's getting so I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are on leaving the ramp in so he can have access to his run all day? My mum doesn't think it's a good idea.

Also, has anyone got any homemade boredom breakers that I could put in his run? As I think I bought every other rabbit toy under the sun!

Thanks

:wave: Welcome

Runs which are on grass are not ideal to leave a rabbit in who are being left unsupervised, they can dig out and also predators can dig in particuarly in the wet weather when the ground is soft.

Rabbits in the wild have warrens that they hide and shelter in, they like to have something they can use to escape boxes and tubes are great for them to shelter from the sun and rain and to 'hide' from anything which suddenly moves in the garden.

Digging boxes are liked by some rabbits. Telephone directories which they can shred ... this can make a nice mess! Toilet and kitchen rolls filled with hay which can be tossed about. Treat balls filled iwth their pellets instead of putting them in a bowl keeps them occupied.

Yeah that's what I'd worry about! All our neighbours have dogs so we don't tend to get that many cats about. But I'd still worry. What about if I was to put him on concrete, or would that be too harsh on his little feet?

It's only really temporary at the moment until his new mansion of a hutch is built and his new girlfriend moves in. Then he'll have the space and the company which will make him happier. (Or so I reckon)
He isn't much of a digger, he usually digs and then rolls in it so I'm not too worried about burrowing.

Thanks for the toy ideas, I'm gonna start collecting things together. :D

:wave: I think quite a few people on here have buns with runs attached to their hurches/sheds on paving slabs/concrete and they have access to them all day/night - hopefully they will be along soon.:D

A lot of people have buns runs on concrete which doesnt allow them to dig out or anything to dig in. It would be safe then to let them have the door to the hutch open at all times so that they can go from hutch to run.

Concrete helps wear down nails too! Be careful he doesn't fall down the hole, you haven't said if you cover the hole or not?! :shock:

thumper has access to his run 24/7.ive found a great way keep them occupied.dya know that cereal,coco pops creations?well,fill the empty tubes with carrot,cabbage n grass then put the lid back on.thumper goes crazy for them.keep s him amused for ages.xxx

Thanks for your help.

I think I'm going to move his hutch to the concrete and let him out all day. It's better than being coped up in a hutch all day.

His hutch has a trapdoor which I remove and put the ramp in. It's not too high up so he'll be fine. ;)

His nails have just been clipped by the vets as he's just been castrated but they do grow super fast though.

Oh and thanks for the coco pops idea, I think he might just like that. Make it abit more of a challange for his food anyways!

:D

My bunnies are out every day unless there's tortential rain, and it's on grass. They haven't reached the age where they may start digging. They love being out in the run. They are left unsupervised. I mean, I can't sit out there for 8 hours a day watching them. Sometimes, there is no-one in the house. I have provided a semi-digging box(a box that has just paper in it as they haven't started digging and they use it as a litter tray!!), but I think a digging box will take away any urge to dig. I can't have my rexes on concrete anyway, because of sore hocks so they can only have a run on grass. My vet says that bunnies should live on grass ideally but they should be on grass for at least part of the day. Maybe have a run for concrete which they go in 24/7, and a run on grass for about 2-3 hours a day.

I have a big box of fresh (well before they got hold of it!) hay in the front room for my house buns.. they sit in it and send ages digging at it and munching the hay... and they love the treat ball wiht their fav goodies in it :D
What about one of those log material or plastic tubes to tunnel through too?? A little bunny adventure every time :lol:

I don't think I can trust him being on grass whilst I'm not there. I'd worry too much. But maybe moving his run around will help, that's a good idea.
It's only really temporary, he's putting on weight and needs more exercise.
I got him a lead but he doesn't like it too much. Eventhough he'd go on a lead fine with his last owner. The little rascal.
A digging box would be a good idea, he'd like to roll around in that and get stupidly dirty I reckon. :lol:

I have a big box of fresh (well before they got hold of it!) hay in the front room for my house buns.. they sit in it and send ages digging at it and munching the hay... and they love the treat ball wiht their fav goodies in it :D
What about one of those log material or plastic tubes to tunnel through too?? A little bunny adventure every time :lol:

I've got him a tunnel, he goes in it half way then backs out of it then launches it across his run.
He's got a big ball of willow too which he likes to munch, but I'll try the box of hay. He does like to dig his bedding up when I've done it all beautifully for him. Likewise with his sawdust, he pushes it to the side of his hutch, he obviously likes the nice hard wood to lie on. :rolleyes:

MIne dig at their wood shavings from tiem to time and lie on a nice cold floor but they are indoors so can understand it getting a bit warm.

They do tunnels that have holes half way up so that they can get out and not feel too trapped.

Mine arent too fussed with the willow ball or hay but love the box :D Tho I have to try and clean out the mess each day cos they poo at the same time (perfectly normal but i'm sure they wil give up once too soiled)

I also got a little house and a trunk shaped hard packed alfalfa from P@H which they munch on and is good for their incissors... tho I too the straw off the roof from the house as it was a bit ointy and they just pulled it out to get at the actual house anyway!!

I think you'll find a GF will be very good for him :D they can then play together and if she likes diff things theyll copy each other.
Lots of good info on bonding on here too - nto sure if oyu know that they need neutral territory to start etc?...
When are you getting the girl ? Have his hormones settled down yet - ie how long ago since neuter?

He likes anything really, he's very nosey and he'd be into allsorts if he was in the house. But I'll definately try the box of hay.

What's P@H? I just went on that Willow Warren website, that's got some really cute things that he'd probably love to play in.

I know I really can't wait to get him a girlie. I'm going to look at one this weekend from what I've seen and heard she seems perfect for him.
I've read abit into the bonding process, I know they need to be introduced somewhere neutral and to put her in places he's been and vise versa so they reckognise the others scent and just do little introductions really and possibly keep them close to each other so they can see eachother etc. When I'm closer to the time of bonding I'll read more into it, but I know the basics at the moment. I'm quite nervous about doing it though, you just don't know how they'll react to eachother.

I'm hoping to get the girl in about 3-4 weeks something like that, depending on if I find the right one for him. He was neutered about 2-3 weeks ago now. I've not really noticed much of a change in hormones yet but he's stopped spraying which I'm glad of. He was with a girl rabbit for a year and he never bothered with her, she had more interest in him really. So he was quite a calm bun anyways.

Your little buns in your signature are adorable. I can't wait for mine to have a gf of his own. :)

With our bunns we put chicken wire on the bottom of the run and that way they can have a chew on the grass! :D

You've got to move it around a bit from time to time but this seems to do the trick. If there are preditors (cats) about they can just hop in their bed room and sit quiet!!:shock:

Plus concrete can get very cold where as the ground will warm up if their sitting for a while!!

Give a go and see what you think!! I haven't known of any time when our bunns have escaped!! Our bunns are always locked up at night cos there are more preditors about then. (fox, badger)

Good luck!

Gem

P@H is pets at home shop!!

:lol:

Oh yeah, I see that now. :oops: :lol:

Oh I'll have a go at the chicken wire thing, that's a good idea. That way he can't really dig but he's got his grass to graze on. I like that.

Is that still a good idea with me being out at work all day do you think? I work 9-5 you see.

Bonding is scary but you need to know how to read their signals etc to stop fights before they begin.. I am soon to add another two into the group and i'm terrified of how it will go!! Will be good for them in the long run tho :D

Buns tend to sleep in the day too so you'll probs find that they are nto too active in the day anyway. Whenever i'm off work they just lounge all day :lol:
They have a run in the mornign before work and then are out all evening, usually start 'waking up' at about 4pm and then ready to rock and roll by the time I get in from work. So good all round then :D

Dont know too much about what to doif they are kept outside as never had buns out of doors. But they still all love very similar distractions i'm sure :D

And yes p@h is pets at home lol

The naturals range is also very good there (same as off 'the hay experts' - also a good site for hay and treats and fun things to do etc)

well my husband and i work all day too!

I work 8-6 four days a week and their out all day! The run we've got is really tall with a roof on so their sheltered from the weather too:) But then any bun with sense would hop into their bed for a bit of shelter!!!:shock:

Gem

emjay - Aww how lovely. Have you done the bonding process before?
He does seem to be more chilled out during the day but as soon as I get home he's bouncing around his hutch.
I think I need to start taking more notice of the stuff in P@H. I'll probably go for a nosey round there tomorrow after work. I can't help but spend money in there though.

Gem - He probably wouldn't even notice that I'm not there. I feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only person leaving their rabbit out during the day. I don't think he'd come out much anyway. He only tends to come out when I'm sat in the garden with him. He's got his hutch for shelter and he generally won't come out if its raining or really windy.

:D

Back