• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT - Bella has run out of food until tomorrow!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bella (my bunny rabbit) has ran out of food until tomorrow and now its the 2nd day going without proper food, I was wondering what should I do and give her? I have gave her a lot of veggies but that keeps making her pee more. She's had cucumber, lettuce, carrot and sweetcorn pieces. We haven't got much else left in the house. Can she have guinea pig food as I've heard that just has extra vitamin C in it and besides, she doesn't have to eat them ones does she? - or is that bad for her? Please help, I'm such a bad bunny mummy!

Has she got plenty of hay in her cage?

The hay should make up 90% of her diet anyway so all good if she has :D

When you start giving her her pellets again give her less than normal as her belly wont be used to the usual amount anymore and you would end up with lots of stinky poops :lol:

ur not a bad bunny mummy.how come shes gone 2days?i ran out once n gave thumper a piece of toast.vet said it was ok n he enjoyed it.always make sure i dont run out now though.x:)

Don't think you should be giving her lots more veggies than usual... could give her more squishy poos. If I run out of food I just give them lots of extra hay :)

Wouldn't give her the piggie food.

I think its awful you didnt notice this earlier- but if you must. try a little bit of everything.

PLENTY of hay - loads of hay!!! and try 1 / 10th piece of WHOLEMEAL bread only- baked on a low temperature in the oven until crispy but NOT burnt.

Shame on you!

if it was sunday i could understand. :roll: :roll:

I have got low on food before but never to the extent that they have none.

next time try and recognise this a few days before.

yep agree - just pile the hay in.
i always have 2 bags of food in the shed just to be safe. if i was poorly or unable to get to a shop (say snowstorm or something lol) id hate to think the buns wouldnt get fed so always have an open bag and a spare one - just incase.

I would go for only hay that will not cause a problems. If rabbits come in without any food, I only give them hay for about 3 days and then slowly start introducing the feed that they will be going to eat.

I wouldnt worry about the toast.

Just feeding hay for a few days won't do any harm. Topping up with veg will keep them happy.

If you've run out of hay that's different - you need to get some first thing tomorrow.

Tamsin

yep agree - just pile the hay in.
i always have 2 bags of food in the shed just to be safe. if i was poorly or unable to get to a shop (say snowstorm or something lol) id hate to think the buns wouldnt get fed so always have an open bag and a spare one - just incase.

Good idea :thumb:

Only time I've run out of food I'd underestimated what I'd got in the bag (used a lot when I'd had 9 buns :shock: ) and when I'd finished work bloody shops were closed! (Sundays :roll: )

Has she got plenty of hay in her cage?

The hay should make up 90% of her diet anyway so all good if she has :D

When you start giving her her pellets again give her less than normal as her belly wont be used to the usual amount anymore and you would end up with lots of stinky poops :lol:

Yeah she has plenty of hay in her cage, theres loads of handfulls in her hay rack, a bit in her other yellow hay rack and loads everywhere else...

Thanks for the tip!

ur not a bad bunny mummy.how come shes gone 2days?i ran out once n gave thumper a piece of toast.vet said it was ok n he enjoyed it.always make sure i dont run out now though.x:)

Its been two days because it happened on Sunday then all yesterday and today the post office has been down so mum couldn't get her money, hopefully it will be alright tomorrow.

I ran out of pellets today too and feel well bad now I have read these replies :oops:

It is quite easy to forget things when you have a million other things to do :? And its really not the end of the world seeing as pellets make up such a small part of their diet, unless they get a bowlfull everyday and only being fed pellets they arent going to miss them if you occasionally forget to buy a new bag and they have to go without for one night :? :oops:

Instead of their pellets tonight mine are having some apple pellets each and a cookie each which I have made them from a packet along with their hay and fresh veg. I really dont think its that irresponsible as long as you have remembered to get fresh veg and plenty of hay, which I have x

I think its awful you didnt notice this earlier- but if you must. try a little bit of everything.

PLENTY of hay - loads of hay!!! and try 1 / 10th piece of WHOLEMEAL bread only- baked on a low temperature in the oven until crispy but NOT burnt.

Shame on you!

Well you go and ask the post office people yourself then ok? PLEASE don't try and make me feel bad!

I thought lettuce and sweetcorn were bad for bunny tummys.

It depends on what lettuce as romaine etc are meant to be ok but the water content in iceburg is too high. There is alot of debate about sweetcorn Arnie is scared of it anyway :lol:

I prefer not to feed any lettuce as I always worry and i all looks the same to me :roll:

I wouldn't worry about feeding her any extra veggies as all the water in the lettuce and cucumber would give her a sticky bum. Also I wouldn't worry about the bread either, it bloats me so I wouldn't risk it.

Just make sure she has plenty of hay and as I mentioned above introduce the feed gradually again.

Hope I've helped

*edited to say, you are not a bad bunny mummy as you came straight on here to ask advice. Noone knew your circumstances as you could be stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting for it for all we knew. The main thing is she is ok as you have followed the advice and you now know to keep plenty spare :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back