• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies and temperature changes

susiemae

Mama Doe
Having read the thread about outdoor bunnies, it seems that alot of people, like myself, have their bunnies in the house regularly although the buns are essentially live outdoors. I know temperature changes arent supposed to be good for bunnies but my bunnies love coming in the house and even sit at the back door waiting to be let in. I honestly couldnt spend all winter never having time with my buns and the best quality time seems to be when they're in the house with us. My house just isnt big enough for them to be indorr bunnies so is it really that bad for them to bring them in for a few hours every day?

I think the main thing to remember is bunnies are mammals, which means they control their own temperature very well. I think bringing them in is fine as long as they have a nice draft free hutch with lots of bedding. It's not like you are shaving them and putting them in the middle of a cold field!! :D They will fluff their coats p when you put them back outside.

Personally I would not want to bring an outdoor bun into a warm/heated house during the winter.

Rabbits dont cope well with extreme temperature changes. If you have a part of your home that is free from central heating then perhaps you could have your Bun in that area.

:)

I don't put the radiator on in the living room when mine are in because I don't want them to get snuffles- I put thick socks and a hoodie on instead :lol:

In winter I only bring mine in the kitchen, I have the back door open for a while before hand and the window open while they're in so there isn't much of a change in temp for them. I just sit with my coat and scarf on! :lol:

Personally I would not want to bring an outdoor bun into a warm/heated house during the winter.

Rabbits dont cope well with extreme temperature changes.
:)

Hi

I just wondered about the opposite of this, House bunnies being boarded in a heated garage or shed for a few weeks during Winter?
Do they adapt ok to this?

this is something i need some advice on too.... preston currently lives in our kitchen and comes through to the lounge/bedroom especially when we are cooking.

we are now considering turning our unused dining room into a bunny room, so he can have a bigger cage and then hopefully have a girlie to keep him company when we are not home.

will we need to ensure the rad in the new bunny room is kept off?

Hi

I just wondered about the opposite of this, House bunnies being boarded in a heated garage or shed for a few weeks during Winter?

Any views?
I was thinking of holiday boarding when I asked?

Hi

It is more risky when they go inside to outside each day, if you are keeping him indoors permanent you can maybe gradually increase the heat of the radiator and just keep an eye on him, if he appears to be panting lower the heat etc ;)

It is more risky when they go inside to outside each day, if you are keeping him indoors permanent you can maybe gradually increase the heat of the radiator and just keep an eye on him, if he appears to be panting lower the heat etc ;)

Ahh right it's the hot rather than the cold temp that's a problem, of course.
I suppose we tend to forget how warm those furry coats are.

Thanks birdiebun :)

Back