• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much veg?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
How much veg do your rabbits get through each week?

I have 12 rabbits here ATM, and they eat...

3 packs of spring greens

4 large lettuces

2 packs of celery

2 medium sized bags of carrots

Amy

I thought they weren't supposed to have lettuce?

Iceberg lettuce isn't good for them, I am not sure about normal lettuce, never tried to feed it.

I have 4 bunnies and usually need per week:

3 to 4 packs of spring greens
2 bunches of parsley
1 apple
2 carrots
2 bags of curly kale
1 pack of celery (although they are not too keen on that)

During the summer I get fewer veggies from the shops, but add hazel and strawberry leaves, and some fresh herbs, from the garden. We also have quite a bit of dandelion in our lawn.

My 2 get through:

2 bunches of greens
3 carrots
1 brocolli
1 packet of green beens

When I'm at the supermarket people must think I eat really healthy food - little do they know it's all for the buns.

We have 5 adults and 11 babies and 2 guinea pigs.
We get through in a week:

7 bags of springs greens
2 large bags of carrots
4 bags of kale
3 bags of celery
2 packets of baby corns ( as treats)
3 cucumbers
3 round lettuces (not every week)
half a bag of apples and half bag of pears
Occasional packet of pak choi
Occasional cherry tomatoes

Probably missed something out to :lol:

I read so much about lettuce being bad too, but then if they can have cucumber and the likes of celery I cant see that IN MODERATION how it could be harmful.

Though I will not bother with lettuce as there are so many more green types out there that are def ok's..

I've never had a bad reaction from feeding lettuce. Personally I think rabbits tend to tolerate it better than stuff like cabbage, kale and spring greens. Plus it isn't as high in calcium.

My 2 dwarf lops and one nethie ate

3 heads of spring greens (1 1/2 big packets)
2 heads of romany lettuce
1 brocolli
1 celery
1 packet raddish
1 carrot
1 bannana
1 apple
A few bits of what we had, like brussel sprouts and red cabbage.

When we got the neithie the only extra I've bought is a packet of spring greens and we have the other half. I spread the other veg a little thinner.

I've got 19 piggies and 6 rabbits, and get through a bag of greens, large head of brocolli and several large carrots a day - there's never any room in my fridge for more than a couple jars jam, some marge and milk :lol:

I've never had a bad reaction from feeding lettuce. Personally I think rabbits tend to tolerate it better than stuff like cabbage, kale and spring greens. Plus it isn't as high in calcium.

So which types of lettuce do you feed? I was looking for a low calcium vegetable to feed. Is the very basic round green lettuce ok? The one with the non-crispy leaves?

So which types of lettuce do you feed? I was looking for a low calcium vegetable to feed. Is the very basic round green lettuce ok? The one with the non-crispy leaves?

Yes, the ordinary round or curly leaved lettuces are fine.

Brussel sprouts are a good lower calcium alternative to cabbage/spring greens.

Parsley is really high in calcium, so be careful about feeding too much to rabbits with sludge.

Amy

I get really confused about which vegs are best, things that I thought were good I've since read are bad, too much calcium etc. Which veg can I give my bunnies without fear??!! :shock:

They currently have a few things off this list depending on what I've bought recently:

Brussels
Kale
Brocolli
Beetroot
Cauliflower
Carrot
Cabbage
Spring greens

Then have things like apple, banana or rasins as a treat.

I asked this question in a thread a while ago but nobody replied :(

Brussels
Kale
Brocolli
Beetroot
Cauliflower
Carrot
Cabbage
Spring greens

All those are fine :thumb: (not really sure about beetroot, but should be OK)

Just be wary that kale, broccoli cauliflower, cabbage and spring greens are all potentially quite 'gassy' veg, so perhaps don't feed them all at the same time.

My 2 rabbits and 2 guinea pigs probably have per week;

1 large bag spring greens
1 large bag of carrots
1 whole large brocolli head

and various amounts of parsnip, kale, peppers, celery, cucumber, tomatoes, apple, orange and what ever else I have in the fridge, we all share the veggies :D

What kind of cabbage is ok to feed? Savoy? Red and white cabbage are probably too strong. Snoopy got a bit gassy after eating broccoli, so I have not fed them that any more.

All those are fine :thumb: (not really sure about beetroot, but should be OK)

Just be wary that kale, broccoli cauliflower, cabbage and spring greens are all potentially quite 'gassy' veg, so perhaps don't feed them all at the same time.

Thanks for your reply :D

Which veg can I feed every day then?? I don't want them to get gassy :( They get about a cup(ish) of veg each a day, is this about right?

Which veg can I feed every day then?? I don't want them to get gassy :( They get about a cup(ish) of veg each a day, is this about right?

Perhaps only feed one or two 'gassy' types each day? TBH if yours do well on what you feed, then don't change it.

I feed a bit of 4 veg daily (spring greens, lettuce, carrot, celery)...I don't like to chop and change too much in case it upsets their gut flora.

For a couple of mine broccoli is a real no go.

Back