• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter???

Wispa & Zola

Mama Doe
I havent got my indoor rabbit yet and im trying to do the best thing but im getting confused.

What is the best litter to use??

I know that you can't have ones that affect the respitory system but different websites are saying different things.

Do most people use hay? surely if they are going to the toilet on the same thing that they are supposed to eat then they are going to eat their own urine and poop. i did read that its natural for them to eat poop but that you have to make sure that they arent eating too much litter

any help would be much appreciated!

its making my head spin argh!!!

A lot of people on here recommend Carefress or Megazorb. I use Megazorb, it's much like Carefresh but comes in huge bags and is far more economical. it's a dried fiber wood pulp.

This is the megazorb website:
http://www.megazorb.co.uk/about_megazorb.htm

I buy mine from The Hay Experts:
https://www.thehayexperts.com/product_info.php?cPath=11&products_id=174

With one house bun and one large litter tray it lasts me around three months, so at £7.99 it's good value I think.

You must put hay at one end of the litter tray, they like to eat while they poop and it encourages them to use the tray rather than doing it anywhere :rolleyes: :lol:

I've tried a fair few different ones but I think the best so far is Megazorb mainly because you get a huge sack of it for about £7- £8 which means it lasts ages, I have two litter trays and two poop machines so I was spending a fortune on other brand litters to keep up with them.

I get it from The Hay Experts and also buy a load of food and dried grass at the same time to make the most of the delivery charge.

Some people say it smells funny but I haven't noticed that it does.

I'm another megazorb fan! I normally try and get to a shop and buy it as it's just £5.20 per bag that way, but tend to buy a couple of bags at a time. Planning to buy 4 bags this weekend which I think should fit in my car boot!

As other people have said, one bag - 2 rabbits - about 6 weeks! So that's less than £1/week :D

Hannah

:wave: I use wood based cat litter which is £7.99 a sack. I buy it from my local RSPCA shelter but I know pets at home sell it as well. Not tried megazorb but it sounds good! Might try it next time!

I use carefresh from Pets@home. It is expensive at £3.20 a bag which only lasts 10 days for 2 bunnies.
I used to use wood shavings which are very cheap & easily available, however, bunny wee stinks & carefresh absorbs the smell so it's much nicer in the house. Also wood shavings get everywhere as the bunnies jump in & out of the litter tray & as fast as I cleaned up it got messy again.

Im all for carefresh, i know everyone uses megazorb but i bought care fresh once was so please with the result i buy 1 bag which lasts me a month i know thats not as good value as megazorb but i dont have the room to store a huge bag, before he was in his dog crate i used to use shredded paper my friend gave me free then carefresh underneath shredded paper in the wee corner!:wave:

What works for one person may not work for another, a lot depends on your buns and yourself :?

I use a small amount of hay which I dispose of in my green garden waste wheelie bin. I also hang a bird feeder of hay above the litter tray so that they have lots of nice fresh clean hay to nibble at when they are sitting in it.

I know from my own experience with bonding lots of rabbits that I would use either bunny basics T or science selective pellets to feed my buns on. Excel gives them a distinctive smell which I dont find too appealing.

What works for one person may not work for another, a lot depends on your buns and yourself :?

I use a small amount of hay which I dispose of in my green garden waste wheelie bin. I also hang a bird feeder of hay above the litter tray so that they have lots of nice fresh clean hay to nibble at when they are sitting in it.

I know from my own experience with bonding lots of rabbits that I would use either bunny basics T or science selective pellets to feed my buns on. Excel gives them a distinctive smell which I dont find too appealing.

Wrong thread Janice :lol: :lol: :lol:

The bit in red is the bit to do with litter trays and how I organise mine.

Carys - the bottom bit is an incidental thing about bunnies fed on Excel to me have smellier litter trays than ones not fed on it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just got a couple of hay racks from e-bay that fix to the hutch side to put next to the litter trays, they were only £2.45 each.

The bit in red is the bit to do with litter trays and how I organise mine.

Carys - the bottom bit is an incidental thing about bunnies fed on Excel to me have smellier litter trays than ones not fed on it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ooooooooooooooooooops :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use Megazorb for my two. Bella has a litter tray in her cage which I fill with Megazorb and then half of it with hay as well. She sits one side pooping away while munching her hay. There's very rarely any poops or wees on her "hay" side.

Tarquin won't use a litter tray in his cage, though there are two outside his cage that he's happy to use. They're the same - full of Megazorb and half of it with hay. The one in the bathroom they both insist on digging out the hay and megazorb (and of course their poops :roll:) - which they don't do with the other one and Bella doesn't do in her cage - and it ends up all over the bathroom floor (it's cleaned out every day - it's amazing how many poops two bunnies can produce in one day :shock:).

:)

Thanks guys :)

Thats cleared up a lot, because i did think it was wierd that rabbits were expected to eat their wee :shock:

I think im going to try megazorb and see if she likes it.

Do you find that the soft poos are extremely stinky on excel?! I'm not sure if it's normal, because Bobbin isn't neutered or if it's his food, but my golly do they pong!! :shock: I'm always telling him that if he dares leave a pongy one he won't have anymore dinner! :lol:

Back