• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can bunnys get....

hey can bunnys get worms or mites from birds if they are around ur rabbit??

a friend of mine has a flemish giant i think, and he gets the run of the lawn out the back of her house and she leaves the hutch open 4 him in the day and closes him in the hutch at night.

the birds seem to go in and out of his hutch in the day time thou would that cause him to get worms and mites cos hes got them but theres no cats or dogs in the backyard and they dont own any.

if it is the birds how would you prevent the birds from getting into the cage aside from closing it so bunny cnt get in?

advice would b greatly appreciated :)

I have had a birds nest in the roof of my house. Suddenly I started getting bitten at night, I thought I was going mad because I couldn't see anything in my bed. Got the pest control round, sure enough there were bird mites coming through the cracks in the plaster.... they are very very small, barely visible to the human eye, better seen once they have bitten and turn from white to brown (with your blood! yuk!)

I would imagine that if they bite humans there is nothing to stopping them trying the taste of rabbits. I don't really understand how the birds get into your friends hutch, is the lid open?

She needs to prevent them getting in, there may be other things they carry, I don't know. Either way she should give it a really good clean too. Bird mites will not survive on other species but they will breed enough to keep you itching for a long while.

Not sure about worms.

ouch that sounds nasty :( but its gud the pest control got rid of them :) thats weird how they traveled from outside to get u scary lil things didnt know ppl could get them too :S

ill tell my friend thanks for your help its much appreciated :)

ouch that sounds nasty :( but its gud the pest control got rid of them :) thats weird how they traveled from outside to get u scary lil things didnt know ppl could get them too :S

ill tell my friend thanks for your help its much appreciated :)

Yes it was rather bizarre, I thought it was my bed sheets at first, tried changing washing powder and everything. Eventually when I realised what it was the OH helped me fill all the cracks in the ceilings and walls... they weren't big cracks by any means, but big enough evidently.

Had to hoover the room twice a day for weeks! They don't actually live on us, just in the bed, on the bed frame etc, wood is worse for it, I doubt they would hang around on metal much.

There's not alot you can do except prevent the birds from getting in and give it a good clean. But the mites do tend to live in the nests a opposed to on the birds. I'm sure you would notice because bunny would probably be scratching a lot.

Back