• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you make sure the food/treats are ate evenly between 2 buns?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Say over the weekend, I give a slice of pineapple because they are both shedding fur, in the end, turns out Monty ate either most, if not all of them. How can you make sure the treats. the enzyme tablet, etc. are share evenly among 2 bunnies?

I also notice when there is carrot with leaves, when 1 bun find it sitting on the bowl, she just go for it without "signaling" the other one that there is carrot. And on some occasion, she would finish off eating all the leaves and the other one has no leaves to eat.

Apart from separating them or hand feeding them there is no definate way of ensuring that anything is evenly spread amongst buns.

I hand feed any pineapple and also bannana to make sure they get a small bit each & any other veg gets put in a bowl so that there are about 4 peices of each veg so they at least have a fighting chance of having some variety.

I have the same problem to.

Twinkle will be out playing at feed time, but Lolly will be in the hutch being a big couch potato. Guess who gets their face in the greens first.

I have started target feeding twinkle her greens, so she does actually get something other than left-overs. She seems quite content to sit with me while I feed her by hand all the nice bits she never usually see's.

I hand feed all pellets and treats, apart from veggies. Clover eats way faster than Dusty.

I can handfeed spinach, as I am currently doing in the past mth. or so. But w/ tablet, they don't seem to interest in eating it right away. Usually it takes 24 hr. for Monty to eat them. As it's not his absolute favorite.

Minnie doesn't seem to like to eat the tablet. So w/ her, I have to forcefeed by mixing that tablet in powder, and stir it w/ fresh pineapple juice. If I put another tablet here, after Monty clean out his, I bet Minnie still won't eat them, and Monty would be eating his 2nd tablet, and I don't like the imbal.

There's no stopping either of mine if they even here a rustle of food! Shadow is bigger so he eats faster and gets more, which is fair. Kitten still gets enough as she's only little and can't gobble quite as fast as Shadow so I think it balances out naturally with mine :)

I tend to push mine apart if one is gobbling their food a lot faster and give them separate piles, sometimes I put Poppy on the sofa and Charlie on the floor. Carrots are hand fed, cabbage is just put in a pile, Poppy takes a piece and runs away with it. I find that Charlie always wants Poppy's which is annoying so I have to then take his and give it to her, they did this last night with alfalfa cubes :rolleyes: :lol:

i had this problem with 2 of my buns. i solved it by giving them a bowl each-that way i know they get their fair share of food.
if it's a treat they are getting it's hand fed to them although they do try and push each others heads out of the way!:)

When i put carrot in my two's cage Honey will hide a few bits and them come back and finish whats left with Harley once thats gone she will sit with her stash, Crafty madam:lol:

Back