• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Advertised in *Harrods* as a 'Low Maintainance Pet' U/D 26th Nov

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
A Vet friend of mine was in Harrods at the weekend. She went to look at the Pet Department and was furious to see a Lionhead Bun on sale and being described as a 'low maintainance Pet' :evil:

I feel a letter to Mohamed Al Fayed coming on.................

Janex

Last edited:
I have an idea..... what about I post this on the Dutch forum and other people from other countries on here post it on other forums...

This might be a chance to even get some press... Harrods is internationaly know... Imagine them suddenly getting letters from rabbitlovers and fora-members all over the world.....

Wouldn't that be something?

Shows that they have no clue. They will probably say that you can carry the bunny around in your little handbag and put ribbons in its fur etc..

defo write to them and also post it on that other forum. They are hot on their customer services so will action your letter - it won't just disappear into the ether!

Jane, is it worth mentioning the 30,000+ in rescues because they are not and perhaps he could send a donation for some London rescues?

Maybe Harrods consider rabbits to be low maintenance because the owners have staff who actually do the maintenance:lol:

Care sheet for Harrods bunny:

Morning - instruct undermaid to clean out litter tray, cook to prepare dish of selected vegetables, groom to give bunny a brushing.

Lunchtime - request gamekeeper excercises bunny, followed by hairdresser cleaning & grooming bunny.

Afternoon - take bunny shopping to insure he/she has an stimulating day, cook should prepare high tea including good quality hay, undermaid should refresh the litter tray.

A Vet friend of mine was in Harrods at the weekend. She went to look at the Pet Department and was furious to see a Lionhead Bun on sale and being described as a 'low maintainance Pet' :evil:

I feel a letter to Mohamed Al Fayed coming on.................

Janex

Why not start a petition as well as the letter ? I'm sure most people on here will sign it.
TAz

My printer is 'cream crackered' so I have just sent this email to the store :

I am very concerned to learn that in your Pet Department you have a Rabbit on sale advertised as a 'low maitainance Pet'
This statement is *very* wrong. A Rabbit needs just as much care and attention as a dog or a Cat.
Please refer to the Rabbit Welfare Association's information about the care of Pet Rabbits

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/information.htm

Sadly there are over 33,000 unwanted Pet Rabbits in Rescues all over the UK. Most origionate from Petshops where they are bought on the assumption that they are 'low maintainance' Pets.
I am sure that as a store of such high repute you would not want to continue to describe a Pet Rabbit as 'low maintainance' and thus potentially add to the unwanted Pet population.
In an ideal world my personal opinion is that no animals should be sold from retail outlets. But we dont live in a perfect world do we

I look forward to your response to my email

I'll let you know when/if I get a reply

Janex

I'm horrified, I had no idea they even sold pets, let alone mis-sold pets! :?

Fantastic email Jane, brilliantly put! :thumb:

Maybe they'll send us all a hamper so we shut up! :lol:

Back