• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How often should trim nails?

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
Morning,

Could someone tell me the average time between rabbit nail trims, i'm guessing it depends on the bun?

My two are on concrete at the mo, going to move them onto grass in the sprin, Piper has nails like little needles but I only trimmed them a couple of weeks ago so just wondered if I should do them again so soon.

Thanks

Helen

however often they need doing...but i really wouldnt leave less than 4 weeks between time as its not really any rabbits favourite activity...mine usually last 8 weeks between trims at work becausre they all love to dig and keep their nails short, because bunnies cannot retract their nails they often feel sharp & uncomfortable to us, however short they are,
i use the fur on the feet as a guifdeline for the length with most breeds, as this is often just longer than the quick :)
hope that helps :)

Thanks very much, I'll have another look tonight and see how far past her fur they come. She doesn't mind it so much so long as she gets a treat after! Unfortunately she doesn't dig like Minstrel does. I might have to make them a dig box!!

I've had Liam and Mishy since February and i haven't had to do them yet! :shock:

I've been to the vets with them several times and have the vet check them to make sure they are not too long, but each time they have been fine.

They are on a concrete run btw. :)

My two have a run on paving slabs and one on grass. Smokey rarely needs her claws doing (she's always digging and hopping around). Inky only needs one hind foot doing (it's a bit wonky where he broke a toe) about every 4-6 months.

I do mine when I notice them being about 1cm past the fur. This is about every 4 mths I reckon.:D

You're not supposed to clip if the rabbit is under 6 mths - I don't know how old your bunnies are??

Minstrel is about 18 months and Piper is about 9 months. Just wanted to make sure as Piper's seemed really long last night when I was putting her back in the hutch. I'll check tonight but prob leave them for a while

Back