• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Got to move my wild bunny outside..what do you think of this hutch?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Help!

Spudsey (my little wild bun) and Squirrel can't move in to their shed until next year now due to my o/h having not finished it and now practically living in wales due to his dad having a stroke. My partner came home over the weekend and wasn't too impressed by Spudseys antics whilst he's been away (!) and wants her outside either with or without Squirrel asap!

I am dreading this move, I didn't want spudsey in a 'normal' hutch as due to her being a wild bun I am unable to handle her but I do like to sit on the floor with her and let her clamber over me which is why i opted for a shed.

Squirrel is currently outside on his own in a fairly large hutch but with no run attached so he comes in and runs around the kitchen. But obviously with the weather being so cold I'm reluctant to keep bringing him in from the cold into warm and then back out again.

So I need to buy a hutch/run combi which I will probably end up selling in the future once they hopefully move into their playhouse.

Can anyone recommend a really nice sized hutch and run? My friend got one from pets at home and its shocking! About £50 for a terribly sized run!

Sorry for the long post!

Last edited:
:wave: Have you looked on ebay - some go for loads but I got my friend one locally for £40 and it was lovely - hutch with big run attached and really well made hutch with insulation etc a man had made for his guinea pigs originally. was in really good condition too.

i have 2 3ft hutches that are in need of a big of tlc but you are welcome to come and have them if you want :)

i have 2 3ft hutches that are in need of a big of tlc but you are welcome to come and have them if you want :)

thanks for the offer but think I would like one a bit bigger. :)

have looked on ebay but haven't seen anything I like yet but will definitely look at happy hutches as I've heard about them a bit on here!

That is very smart! I like it!:D Then you could put lots of bedding in and a snugglesafe and stuff to keep it warm upstairs and they can zoom around downstairs too!

That is very smart! I like it!:D Then you could put lots of bedding in and a snugglesafe and stuff to keep it warm upstairs and they can zoom around downstairs too!

Yep I thought it looked quite nice, have emailed link to my o/h to see what he thinks. I am absolutely DREADING moving her outside!!! Because she's so small I just think of her as a baby bun...:cry:

And the thought of Squirrel getting his wicked way with her :shock: :lol:

What does the shed need doing to it? For the cost of the hutch/run you could probably get a local handy man to finish it off :)

Tam

Hi Tamsin

Well where do I start? Shed needs a door, lino laying down, part of the felt on the roof fixing, mesh at the windows then just bits and pieces inside such as shelving for them to sit on etc.

My main concern is the run, need more paving slabs putting down as theres not alot of patio left by the shed to put one.

They could I suppose go in the shed if we did a quick job of it just the basics but it would be so dark in there as not a lot of daylight gets in.

Hows your wild bunny? Has he/she moved out yet???

good news! after speaking to my o/h a moment ago and telling him the price of the hutch/run :lol: :lol: :lol: he has said that when he comes back on saturday he'll stick the door on the shed and sort something out! yay!! Still a bit concerned about the lack of light but hoping we'll get something sorrted!

Scamp's great - still living in the kitchen :oops: He seems to be calming down a little bit though, he doesn't run around so much when I open up his stair gate.

Well just giving them the shed would be quite a bit of room. I'd be tempted to try and find a local handy man and see what sort of price they quote you. If you can find an actual handy man and not a big company it might not cost that much. Or we could give you the diy instructions :D Lino and fixing mesh over a window isn't as hard as it sounds. You probably want a hand with the roof/door though.

Will the run from Spudsey's new friend (sorry I've forgotten his name :oops:) hutch/run fit next to the shed. You could mesh over the gap and that might actually be quite cool so they have a bit of grass growing through to snack on.

The dark doesn't really bother rabbits, in winter they tend to be tucked up in bed with the sun's out. You could get a couple of battery operated lights for when you're in there :)

Tam

Scamp's great - still living in the kitchen :oops: He seems to be calming down a little bit though, he doesn't run around so much when I open up his stair gate.

Well just giving them the shed would be quite a bit of room. I'd be tempted to try and find a local handy man and see what sort of price they quote you. If you can find an actual handy man and not a big company it might not cost that much. Or we could give you the diy instructions :D Lino and fixing mesh over a window isn't as hard as it sounds. You probably want a hand with the roof/door though.

Will the run from Spudsey's new friend (sorry I've forgotten his name :oops:) hutch/run fit next to the shed. You could mesh over the gap and that might actually be quite cool so they have a bit of grass growing through to snack on.

The dark doesn't really bother rabbits, in winter they tend to be tucked up in bed with the sun's out. You could get a couple of battery operated lights for when you're in there :)

Tam

Glad scamps ok, Spudsey has her quiet moments too where she just sits on her grassy mat.

Squirrel is the other bun, he's ok now to move in with her now as been done for about nine/ten weeks now. Phew!

The run was going to be at the front of the shed on paving slabs but now will probably be at the side.
I suppose with this dreary weather they would rather be tucked inside the warm anyway!

Back