• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - aggressive bun - bonding?

Excuse the long post but would like a bit of advice.

I have a 3yr old male house bunny, and yesterday I bought home a female to try to bond to him. They are in the same room, but separate areas and cages - he is free range so I am keeping him away from her for a few days before i start but I think its all going to go horribly wrong...

He has suddenly turned from a timid but friendly little bun in to a monster, attacking me everytime he comes close - allowing a stroke, but then launching himself at me to bite. I have confined him when he has done it for 10 minutes, but have no idea why he is having a go at me, and know I don't want to even think about trying to bond them when he keeps drawing blood on me never mind her! Any advice please please!

Is he castrated?

If no then get that done before even trying to bond from 25 feet away!

He'll be able to smell her; and he'll know that he can impregnate her.

She'll also need spayed; but she needs to be minimum 6 months old before you do that.

Then you can start introducing them and bonding them on neutral territory.

He is, but she isn't - she is almost 5 months old, but my vet says this week will be fine. so I shouldn't consider allowing them any where near each other before then? And how do I stop him attacking me until then?

He is, but she isn't - she is almost 5 months old, but my vet says this week will be fine. so I shouldn't consider allowing them any where near each other before then? And how do I stop him attacking me until then?

Not with his behaviour, I wouldn't.

If you separate them into two different rooms that should do it; there was a post a while back, I think from xMissySJx where one of her bonded buns was attacking his girlfriend because there was a new bun close to their hutch & run.

I think it's called referred aggression, where he's attacking you 'cos he can't get to the "interloper" in his territory- hence why you bond in a neutral area.

Thanks thats helpful - and the referred aggression thing too. I was so upset that my lovely pal seemed so furious with me - he really took a lump out of me, and not just a nip, he clung on like a bloody dog! I will move her to my bedroom, ad then try the bathroom once she has recovered. I have never tried bonding before and am quite nervous about it - I so don't want it to all end in tears. It did actually seem he was more angry after I had handled her, so I will try to wash between cuddles until they are ore ready.

I have a similar thing with my boy bun, soft as you like normaly but he doesnt seem to like it when my friend is in the room - poor girl!!
He started lungng at her and then at me!! Think he can smell other animals on her and doesnt like it (doesnt bode well when i am going to be bonding a further two into the group!

I just shout 'NO' if he attempts it and when he gets close I push his head to the ground and say 'no' so he knows i'm boss. Think he gets jealous - :roll:

I did read in one of my books about a lady who has a bun that lunged at her everytime someone new came into the room. She responded with positive reinforcment. If he lunged she gave him attention and after a time he was greetign everyone very well and waiting for cuddles. Soudns like a good plan
to me!

Definately wait until she is done tho and then confine them to a small space to start bonding or even a car ride together to start....

And def wash and mayeb chaneg clothes when moving between the two buns, they can smell them a mile off!!

Best of luck for the bonding :D

Thanks - I just didn't realise that things would be so fraught even having her the other side of the room, and its really been making me worry that I have done the wrong thing. I will try the firm stroke/push on the head - moving her when I get in to my bedroom, and she is at the vets tomorrow anyway for spaying. Will report back!!

Thanks - I just didn't realise that things would be so fraught even having her the other side of the room, and its really been making me worry that I have done the wrong thing. I will try the firm stroke/push on the head - moving her when I get in to my bedroom, and she is at the vets tomorrow anyway for spaying. Will report back!!

I tried having my newby in the same room as the others but proved to be an errror as my buns were so excited they were climbing all over and around the cage and stressing me (not her :roll: ) out. Then honey lost a claw either through getting it trapped in the hutch/run or because rosie grabbed it I'm not too sure which and I decided enough's enough. They are separated again until full on bond.

Thats whats happening to me at teh moment. Have the new 2 buns separated in the back room, and its all I can do to keep my pair away from teh door!! They are so curious but its worrying the newbys and me - with trusting paws jutting through the bars!!!
Separation until bonding begins!!

Back