• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reaction to myx jab or abcess???

Clicquot

Warren Scout
Hi!

Little problem here....

The twins have been illegaly vacinated against myx last friday. Now Clicquot has a small lump, like a pimpel on her back. Not exactly on the same place as the jab was put, but a bit down...

Now, on wednesday, Merlot made a 69 move on Clicquot while on the sofa and Clicquot decided it wasn't wanted, so she jumped from the couch with Merlot on her back. (was hilarious), so possible Merlot has unvoluntarely bitten a bit harder while he was flying through the air...

Now I have to decide wether Clicquot has a reaction to the vaccin or wether there is a little wound where Merlot has bitten her. In the last case, I need to take her to the vet offcourse, but if it's a reaction to the jab...well...

The myx vaccin is prohibitited in Switzerland, we haven't had myx here in the last 10 years. Buit there was an outbreak about 100km from Geneva last month, so I got the vaccin from my belgian vet and had my fysiotherapist (who also works with animals) give them the jab.

So going to the vet and possibly he doesn't know about reactions to myx vaccin, for the simple reason he never vacinates... Furthermore if this is an abcess, is a narcose now safe, only 10 days after the jab?

How do I recognise this? How does a reaction to vacination look like? She has this little bump and on top of it is this thing like we have in our eyes when we wake up in the morning... can't see any scartissue...

If it's a reaction to the vaccine, it's usually just a lump under the skin, if it's a bite from anotehr rabbit, it'll probably be bloody & sore.Either way, you should bring your bun to the vet to get it checked out.Sorry, i'm not much help, someone with more info should be along soon :)

Does it have a scab on top? The rabbit I saw today had a small lump and scab left from its myxi vaccine that was given two weeks ago.

yeah, sort of... it's a bit "crubly" as I said, compare it with the "sand" you have to wash out of your eyes in the morning.

There is no blood, it's just a bit pinkish on top.

There seems to be no more scab on it and it hasn't got any bigger then yesterday. I don't seem to hurt her when touching it ,she just gets a bit annoyed after a while...

Eating and pooping normally offcourse, but I don't know wether there would be an influence in that even if it was an abcess...

Back