• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam dosage

capel

Warren Veteran
I went to give Nia her first dose of Metacam this morning (she'd been given a long-lasting jag yesterday), and realised the label says "3 drops once daily". Does that sound right? I checked on the old bottle I had for Floss last year(now out of date, hence the new bottle) and the label says "2 drops twice daily". So Nia, who is a lot smaller than Floss, is having almost as much Metacam all at once than F had spread throughout the day.

I think your best checking with the vet hilda if there open on a sunday,or jacks jayne as shes our own vet on here shes brill:lol:

Dosage does go by weight and also everyone needs to be aware that there is now a metacam CAT suspension aswell that some vets are prescribing for rabbits which has a different percentage of the active ingredient Meloxicam and some people will be prescribed what seems much higher doses (Its double) because of this so please check with your vet if you are unsure :D

3 drops once a day of the original Metacam suspension sounds fine for a rabbit of average size, ie 2kg.

Last edited:
Hi. I phoned the emergency vet just to check, and was so pleased to find that Kevin is on duty!!! . The dosage is fine, and what he'd prescribed. He said that if I think she needs any more this evening I can safely give her another drop.

Metacam is pretty safe and the dosegae varies also dependant on what pain is being treated, for example:

The dose for a broken limb wuld be designed to take the edge off but not to remove the pain else the rabbit would mistakenly try to use the limb and cause more damage thinking it was OK as the natural pain receptors are blocked.

The dose for Nia's teeth would be designed to block pain so that she can use her teeth as normal and eat comfortably enabling her to avoid stasis etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Back