• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

who wrote this and why?

dunno but ive had Alvin 4 - 5 months now and when he went the vets last week there wasnt anything wrong with his teeth and he gets petshop hay

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/giantrabbits.asp

What is the difference btwn. pet shop hay vs. long hay? I mean, I do buy farm hay, but I have friends who buy pet shop hay. So I want to know why platic bag hay is no good?

I would not say it was bad as mine were on bagged hay for a while till i found a farm ,all i can think of is that the longer the strand the better for the teeth as with dental buns they need short strands.

Petshop hay is normally brown because its either not as good quality, or it has been around a long time; therefore losing a lot of its nutritional value. Hay that is long with green in it is usually the kind you can get from farms etc and is much higher in nutrient content than the other stuff. Pet shop hay varies between different shops obviously - you are best to look for hay that has plenty of green in it and it may be labelled timothy hay. If you want to get petshop hay theres no problem with it! Any hay is better than no hay - its just about the quality! :D

Rabbits wear down their teeth simply by eating, since the teeth are placed so they wear each other down.
However if the rabbit has something wrong with their teeth, either caused by injury or genetic, its harder to wear them down, usually such rabbits need their teeth clipped every now and then, since they don't wear down naturally.

But petshop hay is still hay? Surely it'd make more sense for the article to point out the benefits of feeding baled hay from a farm vs petshop hay but not exclude it entirely? Not everyone has the space for a bale of hay or transport to get it home, and not all places will break down a bale for you. I've seen some lovely fresh looking/smelling bagged hay in petshops too, and had some nasty baled hay from a farmshop

I cant transport bales home :(

I have to order everything online and its certainly not cheaper then :rolleyes:

and remember that some hay sold in pet shops like the alfalfa king stuff and the Oxbow stuff is long think strands. Oat hay and timothy sold in pet shops is great for teeth :)

what they mean is short cut hay thats been vacuum packed. as the strands are that short they are no good for the teeth xxx

It is a bit of a daft statement because some petshop hay is quite long & the advantage is it is usually dust extracted (lower allegen) and has *usually* been correctly stored so wont be musty/mouldy. I've also head of farm hay having mites/rodent contamination where I suspect the biggest selling pet shop sellers are pretty stringent about rodent/wild rabbit security. In rabbitlopedia it also suggest that hay should be chopped to some degree because very long hay can form a rope which gets caught around buns paws.

One of my local petshops only sells hay that's chopped into about 1" pieces because apparently 'rabbit's can choke otherwise' :roll:

The packaged branded stuff never seems to be good quality. Plus at £3 a pop for a bag that's about 3 days supply it's very expensive rubbish.

It wil have been stored the same just packed into plastic afterwards so shouldn't make a difference in that way.

The sentence could be cleared though.

Back