• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

buy a rabbit to feed a family on ebay!!!!!!!

I understand they have to eat but when they show a cute bunny and market it as a gift...well i don't think thats right, cow or rabbit!

It's no worse than anyone anywhere eating any animal. Its probably more legitimate for starving people in africa to eat meat than anyone else, it's not like theyre overburdened with quorn and tofu.

isnt it a good thing that people are being encouraged to spend their money on helping those less fortunate than themselves, rather than buying loads of junk they dont even need which will probably end up thrown in landfill?

i really am intrigued...and am probably going to get shouted at...but how is it any different from any other form of meat eating?

i realise a lot of you are probably vegetarian but i don't see what makes this case so much more deserving of outrage. you might as well be cross at people selling a hamper that contains sausages.

This is a hard one! I think (i may be wrong) that its not so much the feeding of the buns to the people in africa - its the way a lovely immaculate cute looking pet bunny is being used to market this that is upsetting lisa. Although i agree that obviously the people in africa need to eat and would never disagree with them being able to do so - the way the organisers have marketed this is quite distasteful - im sure to the detriment of their cause as many bunny owners etc will prob be put off by this.

Minimallow
well said;) distasteful was the word i was looking for! i maybe didn't explain myself properly. I would never want to see anyone starve and if they want or need to eat rabbits i wouldn't stop them. I am all for helping these people and have donated in the past i just think it could be done in a better way!

Completely agree with Minimallow - Ultimately they have to eat but I think the marketing approach is all wrong, look at those animal with Christmas bows on their heads :?

As a vegetarian I too feel that every life is worth the same, but this is rather upsetting :(

but it is only the same as buying a cow to donate, or a sheep... ultimatly they have the same fate. x

I don't agree it's the same - they wouldn't dream of promoting dogs and cats for food, and yet they are perfectly edible. How many ordinary families in the UK have a pet cow? I think it's disgusting and very insensitive of them :evil:

yeah and not forgetting of course that the Romans introduced rabbits to the UK for food, and look how they overran the country in the end - I should think the last thing starving Africans need is escaped rabbits (and they will!) eating their precious crops - it's the most stupid idea ever :?

I don't agree it's the same - they wouldn't dream of promoting dogs and cats for food, and yet they are perfectly edible. How many ordinary families in the UK have a pet cow? I think it's disgusting and very insensitive of them :evil:

It is NO different, do you think that when a cow is being slaughtered it has any less feeling than a rabbit? It's not nice seeing a cute bunny in the picture, and maybe it could of been done alot more tastefully, but to say many ordinary families in the uk dont have a pet cow, doesn't take away from the fact that it still feels pain like any other animal.

Last edited:
I never support charities who use the 'send a cow to Africa' gimmick, because they don't need cows, sheep, etc because their ecosystem can't support that many animals. So....The more animals that are sent, the more plants get eaten, the more their soil turns to desert, and ultimately the more the people will suffer.

To me it makes no difference whether it's a cow, sheep, chicken, goat, or rabbits, it's still unsustainable.

Amy

I think its distasteful and there are beter ways of helping those worse off than sending them a single 'meal'. I know the idea may be to breed from them but if they cant afford to eat how will they feed any stock?

I think that a rabbit hasn't got much to give in terms of income and meat. Cows and sheep give loads more, which is why I think sending a rabbit to africa is pointless.

I think the picture they chose to use is unfortunate..
but I agree with others in it's the same as eating any meat...just because we love pet rabbits, ones bred for meat should not been counted as any different to cows, pigs, sheep, etc..

and the charity helps them to keep the stock too.. a pair of rabbits will breed quickly and the offspring will probably be intially used to breed again..but then , like all farmed animals, will be killed quite young for food...and fur..
and this is an organised charity trying to save lives..
Just sending them bags of rice does not encourage self- support or self-pride..this scheme is much better..
It would have been less offensive perhaps had they put a picture of a starving toddler on the appeal.:?

Last edited:
I think it's appaling to sell an animals life like this (any animal) - can you imagine the kind of conditions they will be kept in. :evil:

I think the marketing strategy is appalling and will be surprised if they get many customers.

I am totally against any animal being bred, slaughtered and eaten but I really can't understand how peopl ecan differentiate between different species for the dinner table. Meat is meat, any life is a sacred life, how can anyone say that a rabbit or dog has more rights than a sheep or cow when it comes to being eaten? Its ridiculous.

I do buy ethical presents for people but I don't buy animals.

Back