• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Ive got the spay on weds for both girls... has anyone got any pre op and post op advice? how long will they need to recover before we attempt to rebond?
xxx

my vet said that one week from the day of the op Lola could be considered normal again (all being well.) Feed them right up to the op and take a little 'packed lunch' for afterwards, that way they will have their normal food and hay and will hopefully start eating quickly. try to limit their movements afterwards, we had to pen Lola in as she was convinced she was ok, trying to run around and jump on the sofa:shock:

yeah. lilly n moo only go on the sofa when nicks home so that shouldn't be a problem. im just so nervouse, x

i was so worried too. i rang the vets a couple of times and went to collect her 15 mins early (had to sit and wait like i'd done something wrong.lol) it was awful picking her up as she was all groggy and quiet (not her at all) but as soon as i saw her eating and drinking i calmed a lot. we slept in the living room the first night because i was so worried but she was fine. the next day she wanted to run around and i dont think she understood that she couldn't. she had internal stitches so we didn't have to go back and have them removed. i'm sure your girlies will be fine and you are doing the right thing for them:D

I've been feeling nervous since I booked Kira in for her op in september and it's still not until 20th December!

I've bought her some of that naturals coneflower stuff to mix in with hay before her op as it's meant to increase immune system, just thought it might prevent her from feeling more poorly on top of the op lol. I also have a soft blanket at the ready but other than that am just following allthe advice given on here.

It's horrible waiting isn't it? Be so pleased when it's over even if it does mean she is poorly over xmas :cry:

Took Flopsy in to be neutered - when I went back 30 mins earlier than time to pick him up - you wouldn't have guessed he had anything done!!!!:shock:

Said he had been a darling. Totally different from when 8 years ago my Starsky went in and came out covered in bubble wrap and looked half cut!:lol:

Only thing I noticed with Flopsy was the first night indoors (outdoor bunny) he did give me a really mega bit on thigh.:censored:

Pay back time. Hasn't done any since and must say it was a breeze.:D

Arnie was fine after his neuter, he was hoping around once he knew he was home again. Still doesnt stop us worrying though.

The main thing thats gets me with Kira is that her op is so much bigger than Arnies :cry:

I would wait a minimum of 2 weeks before attempting to rebond....if they are still displaying hormonal behaviour wait longer.

It gets harder everytime you split them so you want to get it right first time, even if it means waiting as while.

my girl was done about 2 weeks ago now. she is fine the op went really well and she is now back to her old self.
my vets said the same tho about a week then there back to their lovley selves

I would wait a minimum of 2 weeks before attempting to rebond....if they are still displaying hormonal behaviour wait longer.

It gets harder everytime you split them so you want to get it right first time, even if it means waiting as while.

Thanks sooz, i have major nerves. Nicks quite happy with them staying in now, he just wants them to be freinds again x

Hope it goes well for them both.
Before any of ours went in for their speys I made sure I had plenty of tempting things in for when the got home.
Often I've found things with strong tastes like many different kinds of bunny safe herbs have tempted them. Along with a few different kinds of hay too and dried grass! I also always changed to a bowl of water rather than a bottle (if they have one) for the first couple of days so they dont have to move to get water if they feel rough.
I do find it such a worry but after 48 hours after the op ours have been fine. Sometimes much earlier. Our youngest Niamh was speyed at only about 4 months I think and she was right as rain when she came home!
Good luck x x

Back