• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will my rabbits cope?

PandS

Warren Scout
I currently have two house rabbits. My landlord has decided that he wants them to live outside and I'm very concerned. I've bought a double tier hutch that I was going to have inside but it looks as if this will have to go outside. My rabbits, Pumpkin and Sweep, were spayed and castrated earlier in the week and live in separate cages at the moment. I've only had Sweep for 3 weeks but Pumpkin has become used to the cosy house since I got her in July. So really I'm wondering if they'll be able to cope with the cold. They'll be able to come in the house quite a lot to play but sleeping will definitely have to be outside (not ideal in winter!). Can anyone offer advice on how to make sure my bunnies don't suffer? eg tips on keeping them warm and snug. Thanks

Oh dear, not good at all. How long do you have before they have to go out? If he will give you a bit of time then at least you can aclimatise them a bit by putting them in an un-heated room - to go from a heated house straight out to the cold could be dangerous and cruel!
Hopefully they will be bonded before they go out so will at least have each other to keep themselves a bit warmer. You would have to make sure the hutch was very well insulated and that they had plenty of bedding. You would need to be careful to check their bed stayed dry.
It's not just the body getting cold you need to think about - breathing cold air could be a problem for their lungs if they aren't used to it.

If there is no way you could keep them inside until at least the start of spring - id def advise trying to bond them first. they will get a lot of heat from each other. Also plenty of bedding and cozy places to go - and a snugglesafe heatpad too. but like has been said if they not used to being outside their bodies may not cope well. If it was me i would try and wait until its warmer and they have a chance to grow a proper outside coat. they wont have this as obviously it would keep them warmer than the thinner indoors coat they will have now

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely try to keep them in for as long as possible. I intend to bond them as soon as Pumpkin's recovered from being spayed. If it comes to it I'll do everything to make the transition as safe as possible and wouldn't dream of putting them outside until they're propely bonded. I'll be sad to see them leave the house and hope it doesn't affect their outgoing and friendly characters.

im so happy my landlord is a business who leaves the letting agent deal with the house..... the last house we had was a strict no pets let and the landlady was a bit of a stalker... we did have ralph living there and we almost got caught one day when the :censored: :censored: let herself in!!!! we soon moved out of that hell hole...

we now get 2 weeks notice on a visit... plenty of time to get all Alvin evidence gone...

what a huge shame your landlord is such a mean person who has taken permission away....are you sure they are allowed to do that?? if your bun isnt causing damage what possible reason would they have to say yes then say no?

The tenancy agreement states 'no pets' without the Landlords written consent. We spent quite somtime trying to prevent him finding out but he comes around announced and even lets himself into the house if we're asleep or don't hear the door (entering to plug in an electrical hedgetrimmer). I think this is illegal but don't want to say anything and get on the wrong side of him (often the case with students like myself). Anyway, he saw Pumpkin but said he didn't mind because 'it's not like a cat or dog that'll mess in the house'. Well today he spoke to my housemate and told her that he doesn't mind us having them but that he wants them outside so they don't make the house smell. I think I'll keep them inside and if he says something I'll ask if we can wait until it warms up. He professes to be an animal lover so fingers crossed!

The tenancy agreement states 'no pets' without the Landlords written consent. We spent quite somtime trying to prevent him finding out but he comes around announced and even lets himself into the house if we're asleep or don't hear the door (entering to plug in an electrical hedgetrimmer). I think this is illegal but don't want to say anything and get on the wrong side of him (often the case with students like myself). Anyway, he saw Pumpkin but said he didn't mind because 'it's not like a cat or dog that'll mess in the house'. Well today he spoke to my housemate and told her that he doesn't mind us having them but that he wants them outside so they don't make the house smell. I think I'll keep them inside and if he says something I'll ask if we can wait until it warms up. He professes to be an animal lover so fingers crossed!

its very illegal for him to enter the property without first giving 24 hours notice, our tenancy says no pets without written notice but they never had a problem about the chipmunks and they have done a house check twice since we got them without permission oops..... it always seems to be students that are treated badly by landlords :(.... we complained to our agents about the last landlady and she was issued with a written warning... the agreement also states that the tenant is entitled to quiet enjoyment of the property so they cant just turn up when they feel like it..... and even if he is peeved youve broken the tenancy agreement about keepin a pet he never agreed to itd take months for him to go to court and get you all evited not worth his money id bet.... ive also changed my locks which is against the agreement, but i pay my rent on time and id like to see them kick me out, no other person would want this size of a shoe house.......good luck hun it must be terrible.. i didnt rent as a student so i dont really know how the tenancy law works cant see why itd be any different to my tenancy tho

I am sorry to hear that... in France since 1970, we have a law when renting a flat which "forbid the landlord to forbid" not to have domestic pets.. provided they do not cause trouble to the neighbourghood, like barking all day, night and urinating in the premises or causing damages, so I found these terrible and sad.. to do that:cry: I hope things get sorted out ok for you and your bunnies

I would think they'll be fine if you cover the hutch at night with rugs and boards etc. which you need to do to put off foxes and cats anyway. I had to put Maa outside in spring a couple of years ago, and it was mild so I thought OK but then it snowed the following week! And this week she's moulted all her fur and is half bald, just in time for the big chill :roll: However they will survive if they have somewhere cosy out of the wind to snuggle - I have a shower curtain over the hutch wire, plus bits of wood and rugs on most of the day now it's winter - I only remove half the night covers.

how sad.my landlord(touch wood)doesnt mind me having pets eventhough the tenancy agreement says no pets.he even gives me bales of hay!!!!:D if i were you id try keep them inside as long as you can.god damn cold out there!xxx

it is completely illegal for him to enter without warning, you can get him into a lot of trouble for that. make sure you keep a diary of any times he does it. even if you dont want to take action against it you could try hinting at a "i'll ignore what youv'e done if you ignore my rabbit..." type thing.

it is completely illegal for him to enter without warning, you can get him into a lot of trouble for that. make sure you keep a diary of any times he does it. even if you dont want to take action against it you could try hinting at a "i'll ignore what youv'e done if you ignore my rabbit..." type thing.

ohhhh clever idea :D

I'd wait until he asks and then i would explain to him how if they go outside now they won't cope but you will keep them extra clean and in the spring they will move then.

Back