• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do people hate bunnies?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
I ran into someone I havent seen in ages and she said I must be mad for having rabbits.
I got the same kind of reaction when people in my work found out. Everybody was like "why did you get rabbits".

I get so annoyed when people just automatically put bunnies down as if they are a bad thing. My boyfriend just laughs but its a real sore point with me.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

I know someone like that, they got a bunny, and then after a few weeks said, I dont know why I got one they are so dull and just sit there:evil: :evil: some people are just stupid.
sallyx

a bloke at work was thinking about gettin a pet and i said get a house bunny.. he said "but dont they stink"....GRRRRR and hes a real animal lover too!

i dont think bunnies get enough publicity as a pet for people to really understand how amazing they are.... ive not once seen an advert advertisin yummy rabbit pellets, but theres millions for dogs and cats food!

I know someone like that, they got a bunny, and then after a few weeks said, I dont know why I got one they are so dull and just sit there:evil: :evil: some people are just stupid.
sallyx

i think that is because noone gives them chance to get over thier fear.... i was worried at first Alvin would be an anti-social pet.... but hes now becoming very fussy its taken a while tho....

oh i get it all the time @ college, they all take the mick and my lectuter wqas like 'what do they actually, do just sit there and eat a carrot' and i explained about them and he then went' okay so they do a little jump...wow' and every was laughing, he made me feel like a rite pratt:oops:

A woman I used to work with told me I was crazy for having them and nursing the myxi buns 'cos humans can get it don't you know :evil:

I nearly smacked her one :roll:

One of the guys in my work said "what you going to with rabbits just stare out the window at them". "$*hole!
I've only had my bunnies for 6 months and never had any before but if someone said to they had a bunny I would nevre think of saying anything bad!

I just dont get why people take an instant disliking to bunnies! poor little guys

oh i get it all the time @ college, they all take the mick and my lectuter wqas like 'what do they actually, do just sit there and eat a carrot' and i explained about them and he then went' okay so they do a little jump...wow' and every was laughing, he made me feel like a rite pratt:oops:

peeps take the mick at work.... but it is just joke, same way i wind them up.... i dont think anyone really means to upset they just know its my weakness....lololol

when Alvin was ill this week all the peeps who take the mick usually were quite concerned about him, one bloke was even researchin on the net about bunnies not eating as i rushed out to go vets..... really sweet :) they dont understand my obsession but they respect me enough to care

They used to think I was crazy for always wanting to double & triple check the buns had been fed, watered and shut away safely....this was an animal care course :rolleyes:

They couldn't understand my fascination with them, used to spend my lunch hours & free period's sat in the enclosure just watching them :oops:

lol oh ive had that at college too!

after jellys baby died i was distraught, but had a photoshoot/videoshoot for domino and pebbles arranged at my college 4 my documentary 2 days after so i tried 2 keep it together, and sum1 said to me 'eurgh i dont want to touch him hel give me a disease' i DID smack him one! hahaha

I usually get people telling me how good they taste in the pot :evil:

my boss offered to show me how to skin Alvin when i first got him cus i was moaning about the destruction he was doin to my walls... again i dont for a second think they mean it... its just a way to wind me up :roll:

problem for me is im a hugeeeeee windup... gettin a taste of my own medicine now aint i.....lololololol

they tried with the chipmunks last year but they never caused such an obsession in me to really get me biting... :oops: :oops:

I actually haven't told the people I work with that I have bunnies. Last week, one of the guys was talking about a rabbit he had shot and how to skin it. I actually walked off with my fingers in my ears. It would be so much worse if I told them I had bunnies! I also had a conversation about eating rabbit with a taxi driver who picked me up from the vets when I dropped them off for Luuna to have her teeth burred. I'll let him off though, because he really cheered me up, rabbit eating aside :lol: He did make the 'its costing how much? How much did the rabbit cost?!' comment though :rolleyes: :lol: But like I said, I'm letting him off :lol:

I don't know what's wrong with some people that just think it's fun to joke about hurting bunnies.

I always like to have all my bases covered in case something happens to me, so I asked one of my best friends if he would take care of Teal'c and Teyla should anything happen to me. He said sure, as long as I didn't mind them being eaten! :censored: :evil:

And some people think hurting bunnies can be a form of community service (see my 4H thread)!!!

I think everyone I know is opposite about my bunnies. Most of them are jealous and want bunnies of their own(not necessarily a good thing!) and the rest are like "how are your bunnies today?". The only bad thing that has been said against them was that I talk too much about them!!!

I am a recent convert to the bunny appreciation club. I used to think they were boring smelly creatures but that was because the Bunnies I had seen were always in small hutches where they couldn't hop around & they weren't cared for. Poor buns were bored & bad-tempered.

Then I heard about house bunnies when a relative got a couple. I never knew you could house-train a bunny:p The more I considered it the more I came to the view that bunnys are the perfect pet. They're affectionate, cute, housetrained, need some care but not 2 hours of walking in the rain each day (that was my parent's springer spaniel), don't stick headless birds in your slippers (a friends cat), don't play chicken on the main road (a neighbours cat). One of mine is quite happy sitting on the sofa watching tv with me - what a sweetie:D

i always get the tasty bunny jokes aswell.people think im mad for keeping them but if i didnt have thumper then id be sooo bored(nothing against my kids).my partner realy hates them but if i have thumper in the house he will touch him with one finger then run off.:lol: my neighbour likes rabbits and so does my mate cuz shes got two british giants so not everyone hates them.
xx

Answers

The stange thing is most of the people who give you a bad reaction are ill informed cat and dog lovers. To them I simply say "If you knew what bacteria lives in your dog and cats mouth there is no way you would let it in the house let alone on the worktops, near your face or your bed.

To the rabbit pie people "run that one past me again, I've not heard that one before.............Orriginal thought not really your thing is it?". That usually does the trick.

Just remember ,keep their names in a book and come the day of the great rabbit revolution comerade we''ll see whose laughing then. (Probably best to keep that thought in your head when near these people though)

All suitable names to Tamsin at rabbit re-home.org for collation

the most common thing that seems to come out of peoples mouths is about skinning rabbits or eating them, i dont think people realise they are being abit ermm well i dunno rude. my mates boyfriend does it everytime and i just raise my eyebrows at him lol.

coming to people thinking rabbits are a boring pet - many people do because they dont have the knowledge of what great fun and loving creatures they are. i admit when i first thought about getting a rabbit - my first idea was...easy to look after blah blah. but i educated myself about what a rabbit required and how to care for it properly before i did get one. and wow what a shock i got! of course hence because i do own rabbits now the work, money and time didnt bother me and i was willing to do all these. but i had no idea they required as much as they did.
its people lacking to educate themselves on how to care for a rabbit...the amount of people ive heard up the school saying --- oh rabbits are so cheap and easy to care for...they just sit in a hutch and i clean them out once a week and sawdust is pennys. i find it hard not to make comments. of course if its someone i feel i can approach i go into more details and granted ive had one of 2 take on board what ive said. but many times ive hearr -'' well they are fine and im not spending anymore money on them.''

i wish people would realise how much care rabbits do need and find out requirements. instead of sticking to the thought thats back in the stone ages of that rabbits live in a hutch at the back of the garden! thats what annoys me.

Back