• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Things in meadow hay? UD apparently sorrell

~bailey~

Mama Doe
Sorry if this is dumb :oops: I've always fed my buns Timothy hay, but I got them a bag of meadow hay from dust free hay to try. I found this in it and wondered what it was and if its ok for them to eat? Theres also a little thing which looks like a teeny pine cone thing in it :? you can see it in the photo. I'm used to hay looking very uniform, but this has lots of things in it :lol:
Also, they had their first lot of it yesterday and some more this morning. Their poos are quite dark today. Is this normal? Should I be introducing it more slowly? Thanks :)

IMG_1224.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see your piccy very well on my cr*ppy monitor, but it looks a bit like Dock, which shouldn't be fed after it's gone to seed (as yours will have done).

Probably best to pick those bits out just in case.

Amy

I can't see your piccy very well on my cr*ppy monitor, but it looks a bit like Dock, which shouldn't be fed after it's gone to seed (as yours will have done).

Probably best to pick those bits out just in case.

Amy

I've googled it and it does look like dock :( I have been picking them out, but does anyone know how poisonous it is? Like if I miss some, or some seeds are left which they eat? Has anyone else found this in their dust free hay?

im amazed theyve sold summat poisonous..... maybe these are safe?? id send an email to the suppilers to see what they say about whats in thier hay... least youd know for definate then

Unfortunately hay is a natural product, and suppliers can't be expected to know every species of plant that goes into it.

It's probably just a bad batch from the corner of the field, or something like that, but I wouldn't buy any from the same supplier again.

Amy

I'm worried now :( They've not even had that much of it and I've found two huge bits :? Think I might stick to the Timothy hay mainly. Shame, because they really loved the meadow hay, but I worry about them enough, without the possibility of their hay poisoning them :roll: :lol: Thanks for the replies everyone and thanks for another point of view Gem :D I might let them have small amounts of it at a time as you say yours are fine with it :)

I was always under the impression that Dock leaves were ok to feed to rabbits, if you google rabbits and dock leaves all the threads I have found indicate they can be fed to rabbits.

I was always under the impression that Dock leaves were ok to feed to rabbits, if you google rabbits and dock leaves all the threads I have found indicate they can be fed to rabbits.

These aren't the leaves though. Its the tall flowery bit which comes up above the leaves and then produces seeds. The bits I have found look like seeded flowers on a stem and you're not supposed to feed dock after it seeds I don't think :)

oh that's interesting :shock: never give dock seed heads - and the little round seed thing is buttercup seeds. I don't think you can feed dock leaves either - according to wikipedia it's slightly poisonous. There are 2 types of dock and one is poisonous and the other not so much, so it's best to just avoid feeding dock.

I was thinking of ordering from dust free hay as I'm sick of picking weeds out of my hay, and their website says 'there are no thistles, docks or ragwort in it' http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/index.htm

So legally you are entitled to a replacement bag - I would phone them and explain as I'm sure they want to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen again!

Also the poops do go black nearly, and much smaller with meadow hay.

Last edited:
I'd phone Norman and tell him what you've found, and email him the piccy. He'll want to know about it. I've been using dust free hay for over a year now and have never had any problems with it. Mind you I've never really checked throught it before. I just get huge wodges of the stuff in put it in the hutch. I didn't know dock was poisonous.:shock: .mine eat it occassionally.

I found a dead frog in a bag of meadow hay from my local pet store. I reported it to them and they have since told their suppliers but obviously there isn't a lot that can be done. I make sure i check it now and any long seeded stems i put in the recycling as my bunnies will eat anything!!

Back