• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Being bitten- what can I do?

Danielle&James

Warren Scout
My male lionhead Oscar keeps coming up to me for no reason and bites me! I don't do anything to warrant it, the only thing I can think of is that he doesn't like me sitting on the sofas as if I think about it he has only done it when I have been sitting down! He has bitten me on my back, arms and elbow.

Is this him being terratorial? If so what can I do about it?

Millie nips if she's being ignored or we are in her way.
They do say not to move away when they nip so they don't get a reaction even if it means wearing extra layers.

You can give a high pitched squeal to let him know it hurts, that may work or I put my hand on Millies head and gently push down a little bit saying "No Millie" that's supposed to tell them your the boss bun and makes them submissive to you.

How old is he, like Indiechick says he could be being dominant coz he needs neutering but you don't want him to get in the habit, Millies spayed but she can be so stroppy, she mainly nips the other half tho :lol:

he is about 5 months old, we are going to get him neutered after christmas.

He is a very strange bunny, he is either really shy and wants to be left alone (he seems to be happiest being left to do what he wants by himself) or likes having a cuddle.

He does bite my boyfriend too but thats usually when he is getting put back in his cage

As far as I know they only bite when they either want you to give them food or a stroke, or they want you to move. Mine are all outside but I imagine from the way my wellies get nibbled if I'm faffing about at tea time, biting means 'oy woman, hurry up with my tea!' - bit hard to feed an indoor bunny constantly as they'd soon get fat, so maybe give him a handful of fresh hay when he's 'peckish'? Unless I actually shut mine in with their hay they forget it's there too.

I'm not sure about your problem, but when Rex used to nip me, I would squeal very high pitched.

Rex would freeze, perk his ears up, and turn his head to look at me.

Eyes still focused on my face, he would lean over, and nibble me again... just to get the reaction. once I squeaked, he would start nibbling me just to get a squeak. I have no clue why, but he seemed to like it??

Best of luck with your prob, though!!

:wave: Hi!
I would agree with everything everyone else has said. I had the similar prob with my rex Monty, he bit me once and was regularly biting the o/h for no reason that we could see. Neutering will definately calm him down. Squealing NO is a good idea too, that works a treat and stops them in their tracks. Monty has REALLY calmed down now...........as he now has a girlfriend..........even the vet has commented on how calm he is now:lol:

Good luck

Andrea
x

Back