• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Q for people with outdoor buns

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
How much time do you spend with them each day? Especially single ones. and how can you tell if they're not getting enough attention?

thankyou x x

As much time as possible I suppose. I spend hours a day with mine even now these two live outdoors, Even when its dark if you have a bit of a light up, they dont need to see you, just stroke them & chat to em :D Xx

Mine are in pairs and I spend virtually no time with them whatsoever. They have plenty of space and are really not interested in me as long as I feed them, clean them and check that they are healthy.

My personal opinion is that a single outdoor rabbit who does not or cannot have any other rabbity company should ideally be brought indoors in this weather. Even with the best will in the world most people can only spend a couple of hours a day with the bun, leaving it alone for 20+ hours a day, which is an awful lot for a social creature.

At the moment, I'm only with them when I put them in and out of their run and feeding time because of college commitments. But I'm going to sit in their run for about 2 hours once a week, starting from next week. There's two of them so they have good company. If i had a single bun, I'd spend about 5 hours a day with it.

well mum is home all day so she speaks to chels most of the day also she leaves conservatory door open and so when she doing washing etc chels can hop in and out. also she is checked over at least once a day and at the moment is being watched like a hawk..she nearly all better(touch wood) form her myxi and yesterday we could not find her anywhere in her garden.... eventuallly mum came inside really worried and she was sat under chair looking up at us like... why were u out in the cold!! lol she had hopped in ...so when she wants company she comes to us...although she is not a cuddly rabbit she preers to just sit near you and not be touched (else she crawls away so she is just out of reach). she was a pair for a long time until her sis died i think she is more an animal person than a people person as she enjoys sitting next to the robin in the garden and used to like sitting with my hamster running about near by... i guess the more attention they get the better? at the moment cant try bonding as a she is nearly ten and b she recovering from myxi..but when she recovers we will prob give it another shot... unfortunatly last bonding attempt didnt work out. :(

I go out to my shed at least three times a day to feed, add hay etc but I don't spend a long time out there. If they are out in the runs then I tend to pop out frequently to say "hello"! And every other day I clean them out so I spend an hour or so out there, but really its not that much altogether.
I agree with Alison - its not ideal to have an outdoor single bun, and especially not at this time of year. And my rabbits are also much more interested in each other than me . . unless I am bringing food, of course!

5 minutes in the morning feeeding etc
i spend about 1 hour each evening outside with my pair when i get home from work,
then before i go to bed i go and spend about 5/10 minutes stroking and giving them their snugglesafe

I spend 24 hours a day with my buns! They live inside so its easy..they have free run of the whole house so they are constantly around me. I take them into the garden on their leads to eat grass and walk on concrete to keep their claws down etc other than that we have plenty of playtime everyday and they both like to hop onto the sofa for a cuddle every couple of hours or so! :D

Im in there when im cleaning them out water food etc.I also bring them in for a couple of hours at a night without the heating on then off they go back into there playhouse:D

A bit too little I'm afraid..
I pet and cuddle them when I feed them about twice a day (how much depends on the weather :oops: ), but it'll probably get more when I get them out into the new shed.:D
All my buns are single, because:
Sasuke tries to mate both the girls, Zakura is neutered so she won't give birth, but it's really annoying, and the girls both hate each other.
But with the new cages they will be getting a shared hay rack so that they can see each other.
In their current cages they can smell each other, and I think Zakura seems a bit happier than she was before I got Sasuke (back then she lived outside all by herself, she's never had a cage mate, but she seems to enjoy having a neighbor).

I spend as much time with Rowan who lives alone outside as she wants me to. I just sit out there petting and chatting away untill she gets fed up with me.. which is normally when she's decided she'd rather eat than entertain me. :rolleyes: I'm out there three times a day, in the morning and the late afternoon, and late night when I let the dog out and check up on her to make sure she's warm enough.

She has a thermal cover over her hutch so that helps keep her warm, and a wind proof cover as well so she's pretty well protected against the elements, lots of bedding doesn't hurt either.

If I'm honest I would love to have her inside, and ideally I would. But it's just not possible, she does seem contented but I'd rather have her in with me just to be sure. My plans to get her a friend kind of fell apart earlier in the year :(

I'd say that Arthur is mainly a house bun but goes outdoors at night. I wake up at 6.00am and bring him in while I get ready for work. I sit and play with him for about an hour before my partner comes home from his night shift. I leave for work at 8am, but my partner stays up till 11.30am and then he puts Arthur back in his hutch/run where he stays till I get home at 6.00pm. Then from 6.00pm till 11.30pm Arthur stays in the house. He is so socialable and he loves it when people come round to visit as he can charge at them and rub his scent on them. He is fabulous and looks like Sweep but with great flappy ears! lol

When he is old enough he is having the chop and getting a girlfriend.

I bring mine in to spend time with me when I'm in and able to watch them but I don't do it as often as I did when Charlie was a single bun, he was in the house with me all the time whilst I wasn't working. Now its getting wetter and colder I'm bringing them in more for longer periods of time. when the weather is better I leave the door open for them and they generally stay outside playing together.

I try to spend as much time with my two as I can. They have started sitting at my back door to be let in, so they quite often spend alot of time in the house when Im at home. Means I cant have the heating on though!!!! On a day Im working I do see less of them, especially as it gets dark early now and I cant sit out in the garden with them.

I spend about an hour in the morning, feeding, cleaning letting them run round the garden and having a fuss. In the evenings my sis lets them out for another hour, feeds them their evening pellets and when I get home I spend between half hour-two hours with them, depending on weather/light and give them their veg!

My outside buns are pairs, and I spend about 30 minutes with them a day - that's all. They only need me to feed and clean them out ( and at the moment Bobby and Ruby's meds). They are always pleased to see me, and put a smile on my face everyday.
I wouldn't have a single bun outside. I feel bad enough leaving Squidgy on his own overnight (he's inside and has our company the rest of the time.)

My buns are both single buns.

I don't spend half as much time as i would like with Maya and Bindi, but i have to work to pay for them, and my other animals needs.

As soon as i am home they all get there exercise, and mum is home for most of the week and spoils them when i am ot at home

I only ever keep pairs and I don't actually spend 'petting time' with them as they are free range in the garden and have better things to do with their time than have me maul them :lol:
I check them over every morning when I let them out but thats literally my hand over their body to feel for anything untoward and then I see them through the day through the windows or if im out in the garden doing anything but apart from that its not til bedtime when I give them their hay and titbits for bed.

They don't need my company whatsoever.
Thats why I never keep singles, it makes me feel all fuzzy to see them pottering round the garden together!

I have a bonded pair. I spend an hour in the morning cleaning out, checking them over, etc then usually half hour sitting with them in the afternoon and 10 minutes during the evening. Also am always in and out of the garden so see them a fair bit. Will definitely spend more time out there once it's warmer and evenings lighten up. They have each other for company and are always snuggled up, playing or eating together.

hey I've got a Flemish Giant bunny and I tend to spend at least an hour or two with him a day I tend to just sit with him and cuddle him which he seems to enjoy. I also feed him little treats which he definatly loves hehe.
Hope that helps!

Back