• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit's Tail Bitten Off!

windyridge

New Kit
Not a funny story but a happy ending. From my blog:
Something terrible happened to Felix the other day. I went to feed him in the barn and noticed blood around the cage and on his hind end! I then noticed that his tail was missing! Further investigation revealed that something had bitten much of his tail off! My poor rabbit. I was thankful and amazed he didn't bleed to death through the night. He seemed none the worse for wear except that he was minus most of his tail. I presume a rat was the thief as I saw a rat dropping on top of his food tray which has a cover. But there is no way a rat can get into the cage so maybe Felix was asleep with his tail at the very edge and the rat got to it somehow? Needless to say we went and got a rat trap that is somewhat cat friendly. So far no rats have been trapped. But as you can see from the video Felix is just fine. So much for my live rat trappers. They aren't doing their jobs at all!

the video is here: http://onaridge.blogspot.com/2007/11/felixstail-bitten-off.html

Hi
I'm glad to hear your bunny is ok that's so awful.

I trust he's seen a vet, is he on painkillers while it heals?
My last bunny had to have her tail amputated after a bite it took 2 months to fully heal and she was on antibiotics and metacam for quite a while.

He's doing great. You wouldn't know anything had happened. never went off his feed or anything. Still it must have been scary for the little guy.

Back