• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick question

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
What do you think would be a better mix boy/girl bunny or girl/girl bunny? Also if I did go for the girl/boy they are brother and sister so would obviously stay together, how would I prevent pregnancy? I know I have to have them neutered what I mean is when is the exact point of getting them neutered, I wouldn't want any accidents beforehand.
Sallyx

As far as I know, people say the best couples are boy/girl.

They can get pregnant from 10 weeks so you would have to split them up before then. The boy can be neutered at 14 weeks (I think) but it all depends on whether his balls have dropped ;)

Then he will have to remain separated for 6 weeks because he may still be fertile. Maybe you could have her spayed during this time?

Then re-bond them when they are both fully recovered

I think... but I could be wrong! :lol:

Last edited:
All my rabbits are boy/girl, but because I got them at different times seperating them wasn't a problem. I would hate to have to seperate them but of course I would. Also being giants, I would have to find extra space Thats why I wondered if two girls would be ideal, because they could be speyed together and not have to be seperated. Tough decision
Sallyx

You could opt for an already bonded pair from a rescue, that way they'll already be neutered and you don't have to worry about them not bonding if you can't get two at the same time.

boy/girl is best, boy boy second n girl girl is worst (according to the emma magnus book), its terrible sometimes at the farm the descriptions people give me of the damage does have done to each other,
with boy girl you have to seperate, neuter and then reintroduce, one tip is to have a soft toy bunny in each rabbits hutch&run while they are seperated keep swapping the toys from hutch to hutch so they remember each others smell :)

I understand what you are saying but, I have already found two, I do feel guilty for not going to a rescue this time but it was a certain type of giant I was hoping for. :oops: :oops:
Sallyx

boy/girl is best, boy boy second n girl girl is worst (according to the emma magnus book), its terrible sometimes at the farm the descriptions people give me of the damage does have done to each other,
with boy girl you have to seperate, neuter and then reintroduce, one tip is to have a soft toy bunny in each rabbits hutch&run while they are seperated keep swapping the toys from hutch to hutch so they remember each others smell :)

I have heard stories to, about two does both good and bad,I just want to make the right decision:D :D
Sallyx

If 2 does are already bonded as siblings then I think you might be ok? At bunnycamp they bonded their resident (female) giant with a female lionhead because it was the only bun the giant would tolerate!

I have two Frenchies from the same litter, brother and sister. As soon as his plums were noted he was neutered. Lottie was spayed about a 7 weeks after. :D

Brother and sister worked for my two :D Baby Louis and Lottie below :lol:

LouisLottie.jpg

Back