• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Found the best way to clean ears...

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
...of a bunny with a missing hind leg. Just in case anybody needs to know.

Use your finger! :mrgreen:

Beastor has had a wax build up because he can't clean his own right ear due to a missing leg. I've been experimenting with different cleaning techniques for the past few months, including cotton wool, cotton bud, olive oil, and ear drops.

And by far the best cleaning method I've found by far is sticking my finger down his ear and scraping out any wax and debris.

Last edited:
:D yuck...nice to hear someone being safe and not using cotton buds though:D hope you have some nice gloves to do it with ...ewww:D

oooh :shock: sounds luuurvely!!

having said that, Dude had had a bit of the squits and so i cleaned the hutch out and got it all down my fingernails!! :shock: :lol:

Nice!

Personally I'd have gone with a new clean dish cloth and some warm soapy water (bunny shampoo) and just wiped out the ear gently that way, I mean if he moved suddenly you could hurt him. How do you keep him still/distract him while you do it? My rabbit has to have ear drops right now and I'm curious how you go about it.

He just sits there and lets me do it. He loves it...he leans his head to the side, and I can see the muscles where his missing leg should be twitching just like he's scratching it himself!

I suppose when you've got an itch you can't scratch, you need somebody do it for you! :lol:

My finger is too big to enter the ear canal, so I don't think I'd be able to injure him.

Ear drops can be tricky because rabbits often don't like the sensation of the drops being applied, so learn to shake their heads to avoid it. I usually have the bottle ready with the top off whilst I'm stroking them, and wait until they're relaxed, then just do it quickly.

Amy

He just sits there and lets me do it. He loves it...he leans his head to the side, and I can see the muscles where his missing leg should be twitching just like he's scratching it himself!

I suppose when you've got an itch you can't scratch, you need somebody do it for you! :lol:

My finger is too big to enter the ear canal, so I don't think I'd be able to injure him.

Ear drops can be tricky because rabbits often don't like the sensation of the drops being applied, so learn to shake their heads to avoid it. I usually have the bottle ready with the top off whilst I'm stroking them, and wait until they're relaxed, then just do it quickly.

Amy

He sounds very well behaved :D
Rowans not keen on having her ears messed about with too much so thats why I asked. I've been petting her and keeping her calm while I put the drops in, but after I've done the first ear and she's worked out what I'm up to, then I have to coax her back to get the other ear done :lol: but thats where a tasty bit of carrot comes in ;)

Back