• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on Hay

vicki267

Mama Doe
Hi Guys, just want to know roughly what to do with regards to hay.

The buns are on Excel forage at themo but it doesnt last long and seems to cost a fortune. I have just ordered the sampler pack on hay experts and am hoping that they will like the Pure Pastures meadow hay as it comes in a bigger bag and works out cheaper. I still want to buy more expensive hay to mix in with the cheaper but just want a bag that will last!

I read a topic a while back about another hay website that everyone recommended (not hay experts) which sold quite big sacks of hay and you could choose whether you had fine or course hay. Would someone be able to tell me the link and also what you think of it for quality and price.

Other than that would love to know what you do to get round the same cost and quantity/quality problem as I've got.

Thanks

I think you mean www.dustfreehay.co.uk :D

I love the Dust Free hay, although it's only really economical if you buy the 10 bale pack at £39.99 (otherwise it's £7.99 per bag). My rabbits both love it, I've been using it as their main hay supply for about 8 months now :D It is expensive compared to buying a bale, but I don't mind the cost mostly because my rabbits love it, but also because it's convenient for me because it's both delivered to the door and it's easy for me to store. I had a nightmare getting to get a full size bale of hay in my little shed! :lol:

I love Dust Free Hay and thankfully so do my buns. it comes in nice big bag, is very tightly packed so you get lots and its delivered very promptly. I have got some other hays for them from the hay experts but their favourite (oat hay) only comes in piddly little bags, I need to find somewhere that do it in larger bags.

Helen x

The Pure Pastures hay is good, and most bunnies love Timothy hay as a treat. I never liked the Excel stuff, it smells strange.

Thanks for that will take a look after I have cleaned out "his royalness" he lets me know when the litter tray needs cleaning by chucking it all out, lol.

I feel bad about changing their hay as they do love excel but I just hate having to keep buying those tiny bags!

I have got some other hays for them from the hay experts but their favourite (oat hay) only comes in piddly little bags, I need to find somewhere that do it in larger bags.

Helen x

Is it the Oxbow Oat Hay? I just got them email from SPH supplies!

We have just been phoned with the surprising news that Oxbow are discontinuing the packing of their Oat Hay in the 4.05kg boxes. As far as we are aware, this means that the Oat Hay will then only be available in the 425gm bags. We have managed to reserve a few of the present stock of boxes, but it would appear that these will be the last available. We would therefore suggest that avid Oat Hay eaters should order in the 4.05kg boxes while there are still some available - it will be a matter of first come first served, and once it is out of stock it looks as though it is going to be gone for all time.

I've never actually ordered from them, but must have joined their mailing list somehow? I hope it's a ligitimate email? :?

Hannah

I buy a bale from a local animal feed shop. It costs £4 and lasts 2 months (for 7 rabbits!). Definately the cheapest way to do it!!

Lol I always get emails that I never signed up for. Wish I had £25 to spend all at once on hay though!

Was going to ask, how long does each small sack of the dust free hay last, say for one bun?

Vicki

I buy a bale from a local animal feed shop. It costs £4 and lasts 2 months (for 7 rabbits!). Definately the cheapest way to do it!!

I once bought a big bale but the quality was really poor, took some off the top and Arnie hated it then the next day I noticed a smell, looked at the centre of the bag and it was mouldy :evil:

You are very lucky to have a good supplier near you.

Vicki

Lol I always get emails that I never signed up for. Wish I had £25 to spend all at once on hay though!

Was going to ask, how long does each small sack of the dust free hay last, say for one bun?

Vicki

One small sack lasts my two about five days :D Frankie is a hay monster though: he eats at least four good handfuls a day on his own :shock:

I used simply grass mixed in with other hay including meddow hay, timothy & superforage. The grassy taste seems to infiltrate the other hay & they eat more. Unfortunately the only sample pack mine liked was the orchard grass. At £8 a kg it is simply a no no for anything other than a treat.

I get the feeling thats what my 2 will be like :roll: but I definately like the idea of mixing the hays up,

I give about 75% meadow hay which I buy in a larg 3ft bale form local horse place (last few bales have been really good quality :D ), and 25% "special" hay, they like Orchard Grass! I find giving them a little bit of something nice encourages them to each other stuff - whether that would work with all rabbits I don't know... they could I suppose just pick out the bits they like!

Hannah

Yes I've had an email from petplanet I think saying that oxbow oat hay is being discontinued in the 4kg boxes. Hence I've just spent over £50 on two boxes of the stuff before they run out, it's the only one Santa will eat in any quantity.

I can also vouch for dust free hay (and their straw) it's great stuff. Mine particularly like the stalky one, I guess it depends on your individual buns though.

Have just found this website; http://www.westwaleswillows.co.uk

Has anyone had any dealing with them before?

Vicki

Yes I have had a sample box off them, they say it's a sample but it actually lasted a while. It's free, you just have to apy postage. It was gorgeous hay, nice and stalky with some softer bits too, and very long strands. I would buy from them all the time but the postage is dear, would work out well if you had another bunny friend to spread the cost with. Also I have heard that sometimes the quality of UK hay can be inconsistent.

Currently I use timothy hay from the Alfalfa King which I get from the Hay Experts. Good stuff, not all is long strands but the bag is very well packed, I've been using the same bag for the past month and it doesn't seem to have gone down at all! :shock: :lol: Oh and did I mention Bobbin just adores it?!

https://www.thehayexperts.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_21&products_id=268

I was looking at getting that hay but was worried that the £8.95 would last me a week but if you reckon it lasts a while then I might have to go for it.

My sample pack arrived today and safe to say they prefer the expensive hay :roll:

Can always mix some nice stuff in with it & will probably order a sample pack from that wales place and see how that goes too.

Cheers

Yes I have had a sample box off them, they say it's a sample but it actually lasted a while. It's free, you just have to apy postage. It was gorgeous hay, nice and stalky with some softer bits too, and very long strands. I would buy from them all the time but the postage is dear, would work out well if you had another bunny friend to spread the cost with. Also I have heard that sometimes the quality of UK hay can be inconsistent.

Currently I use timothy hay from the Alfalfa King which I get from the Hay Experts. Good stuff, not all is long strands but the bag is very well packed, I've been using the same bag for the past month and it doesn't seem to have gone down at all! :shock: :lol: Oh and did I mention Bobbin just adores it?!

https://www.thehayexperts.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_21&products_id=268

ive got a bag of that.... its sooooo green.... and the hay is so long... Alvin seems to like it... he looks like a farmer with a long stalk of hay hangin out of his gob :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back